A step in the right direction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cycle friendly bin wagons
"Midlothian Council is to install cyclist detection systems on four of its refuse collection vehicles and says it is the first local authority in Scotland to take such a measure. Derek Rosie, the council’s cabinet member for roads and recycling explained ‘any new technology which helps make roads safer for cyclists is to be encouraged’.

The system features an illuminated disc depicting a bike with a strike-through on the back of each truck which lights up when the driver indicates left. There is also a sensor on the vehicle which picks up movement on the near side, alerting the driver."

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why not? Though generally I have found the tend to be one of the safer large vehicles on the road, in that they do tend to be looking out for hazards around the truck as they are more aware, our ones have cameras in the cab I've been told to see what is at the back (but that was a few years ago and they have replaced vehicles since then hopefully with more safety features.

jonesy

Guru
Unless the sensor is far more reliable than the unaided driver would be, then it could actually make things worse if the drivers start relying on the sensor instead of looking properly...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Unless the sensor is far more reliable than the unaided driver would be, then it could actually make things worse if the drivers start relying on the sensor instead of looking properly...
Do you know what sort of figures they have got in the testing phase? I'm hoping that it would be an additional aid rather than a replacement for looking. And that it would be most effective on those that wouldn't look anyway.

jonesy

Guru
I've not seen any published figures from a proper trial; .however nothing i've heard from other trials makes me optimistic.

The problem with over reliance by the driver isn't that it is intended to replace looking, but that in practice drivers might start doing just that. And if the system has too many false positives they'll start ignoring it when they shouldn't.

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
The problem with over reliance by the driver isn't that it is intended to replace looking, but that in practice drivers might start doing just that. And if the system has too many false positives they'll start ignoring it when they shouldn't.

I could see that happening. Even with park assist on the car, human nature is to start to rely on the machine. Still, it might help, but better driver training may cost less in the long run

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
What if some fool doesn't use indicators?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
And a view of the rear For following traffic.
474733406.jpg

Top Bottom