A very poor show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
At the weekend I drove into town to see a friend who's cat had died. Most inconsiderate for him, but very useful to me as he'd just gone banzai and bought a cupboard load of cat food that he now had no use for and my cats were to he the lucky beneficiaries.

Anyway, c.10 mile journey, country roads, no hurry. Sunny day, I started to encounter the odd roadie, then the odd 'cycle event' warning sign, then hapless chaps sat on grass verges in fluorescent tabard, before I finally came behind the main pack, the peleoton if you will.

Now, I was in no hurry, the roads are narrow and windy with few safe spots to overtake, and being a rider myself was quite happy to hang back, even if the growing queue of cars behind me were not.

But after a few miles of this I was struck by how terrible their roadcraft was. I've no objection to them being 2 or even three abreast, so long as their behaviour is steady, consistent and predictable, but this lot were weaving and wobbling all over the place like a one legged cat burying a turd on a frozen pond. Despite being on a live carriageway with dangerous stuff like cars all around, not one lifted their heads to look behind, or to scan left and right as they approached junctions etc. They really were a pith poor shower and I was becoming quite embarrassed watching them. To be so safety conscious that they wear a helmet (not having that debate here) only to be so casual with other aspects of safety seems utterly ridiculous.

All in all, a terribly poor show. These guys are serious enough about cycling to invest serious money in their rides and kit, but seem oblivious to the most fundamental techniques of using them safely. Considering how vulnerable we are on the roads you'd think that people so seriously into it would pay more heed to their own safety. They were, quite frankly, fools, and as a user group we will continue to struggle to be taken seriously while people like this don't bother to get their own house in order. I was quite angry by the time I arrived at my free Whiskas.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Were they all wearing London Dynamo jerseys?

AndyRM

XOXO
I have seen similarly blasé behaviour myself, most notably on the Great North Bike Ride.

Tight, unsighted bends on unclosed roads being taken on the wrong side. Some folk treating it as a training ride (it's a 60 mile fast, flat route) and absolutely hammering it through a mix of pootlers and families. Cyclists getting into needless altercations in the more crowded areas (particularly the finish). Gel wrappers all over the shop...

Embarrassing stuff to be honest and I let the organisers know my concerns a couple of times without reply.

Wetdog

image.jpeg
We've got a Cat yup he hairless

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Should've beeped your horn like that lady did to Jezza Whine.

That would've woken them up.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Alas, I don't know.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I must admit I've been on rides myself where there hasn't been a care for other road users, almost like herd mentality or power of numbers, Dunwich Dynamo springs to mind particularly in the early stages leaving London and heading up into Essex. Embarrassing really.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think a sportive gives some a false sense of security, being in a large group, signs, marshals, they forget the roads are still open to traffic.
Bet they ride differently on their own.
Btw, I would have kept the cat food, bet your pal gets another cat asp.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I blame the book road craft or what ever its called . While there may be some good tips in it times have moved on and being aware of other road users incompetence is a massive part of riding these days .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom