A week in York updated 26/08

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Nice hotel, been there for a wedding reception.

You can walk most of the bar walls, some interesting views.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well went to the Yorkshire museum in the abbey grounds this morning, and didn't see any ferrets or flat caps.

WP_20160821_11_11_32_Smart.jpg
WP_20160821_11_36_32_Smart.jpg

Then went to York Art Gallery where they have an exhibition of British Art of the first world war which included some fantastic pictures like this one that you could almost feel the heat from the steal works .

WP_20160821_12_40_13_Smart.jpg
WP_20160821_12_39_52_Smart.jpg

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The roman bath pub used to always fascinate me as a kid . After the day walking around the walls and my grandad showing me where he used to shoot the germans through the slits in the walls ( blinking fibber ) We used to go there for a meal . Back then ( 35 years ago ) you could view the baths through the glass walls but i think you have to pay to see them now .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had a few hours at the magnificent York Minster this morning , we even paid the extra to go up the 275 steps that take you up the tower , shame it wasnt clear blue sky

WP_20160822_11_40_17_Smart.jpg
WP_20160822_11_33_32_Smart.jpg

WP_20160822_11_42_52_Smart.jpg
WP_20160822_12_05_49_Smart.jpg

An absolute fantastic way to spend a couple of hours , well worth going on one of the tours that are free to do .

So much to see and look at , how did they manage to build this fantastic building all those years ago .

WP_20160822_12_23_15_Smart.jpg
WP_20160822_12_14_18_Smart.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
After an early wake up this morning as York prepared itself for the day ahead.

We had planned to go to Scarborough for the day but doing 8 miles in an hour we opted for Bridlington instead still stuck a bit longer due to busy roads , but once there we had a paddle in the sea and sandwiches on the beach and a walk around the harbour area.

WP_20160823_13_17_01_Smart.jpg
WP_20160823_13_48_48_Smart.jpg

Never seen so many fish and chip shops in such a small town before.

WP_20160823_13_57_27_Smart.jpg

keithmac

Guru
We did Brid on Sunday, far nicer drive than getting stuck on the A64!.

They've spent quite a lot of money recently improving it, used to be a bit of a hole but I was impressed how much better it is now.

Venod

Eh up
They've spent quite a lot of money recently improving it

I havn't been for years, as a child we spent quite a few family holidays there, but in my opinion they ruined it by putting all the tackey amusments on the front by the harbour, we will have to visit and see whats going on.

keithmac

Guru
We were on South Beach and it was very nice!, there's a new lifeboat station being built there as well.

I'm not one for amusements either, (Scarborough front etc!).

Used to go there on holiday as a kid so have some good memories of Brid!.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We did Brid on Sunday, far nicer drive than getting stuck on the A64!.

They've spent quite a lot of money recently improving it, used to be a bit of a hole but I was impressed how much better it is now.

must admit it was the a64 that made us turn to Bridlington it gave us what we wanted

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Today was another day in and around the centre of York , we started of with a River cruise which was very good and quite factual .

This was followed this afternoon with a visit to the chocolate factory , short walk around some more of the walls , on the way i managed to sneak into Bicis Y Mas the local Cinelli dealer and a super looking cafe some very impressive bikes this was followed by a visit to York Recycle which had a rather nice Worksop made Raleigh frameset that i was sorely tempted by .

Top Bottom