A week in York updated 26/08

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My Grandad used to work there after he shot the germans from yorks wall . He used to bring back the rejected chocolate for me :hyper: Although now i see it as just a tight blinking northerner :laugh:

keithmac

Guru
Used to be a Terry's chocolate factory as well, until it was bought out by a foreign company (Kraft?) and had all it's brands relocated abroard..

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My Grandad used to work there after he shot the germans from yorks wall . He used to bring back the rejected chocolate for me :hyper: Although now i see it as just a tight blinking northerner :laugh:
@Cuchilo he was your grandad remember him for that bless him

If your doing cycling cafes/shops don't miss

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/ and remember there is an upstairs showroom.

I see a link has already been posted yo Your Bike Shed Cafe, its very close to the walls at Micklegate Bar.

will put them on list of things to do :laugh: although will need approval from the 2 ladies in the party

Last edited:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Me and little one outside Terry's last year , , shes convinced its the factory from Charlie and the chocolate factory , it might have had something to do with me telling her that
DSC03843.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well today we did the open bus tour and followed that with some retail therapy for my exam passing daughter .

WP_20160825_10_54_16_Smart.jpg

bus tour was very good and informative ie i saw another 3 bike shops that were full of modern bikes that all look the same .

WP_20160825_10_54_41_Smart.jpg

Last edited:

HelenD123

Guru
on the way i managed to sneak into Bicis Y Mas the local Cinelli dealer and a super looking cafe some very impressive bikes .
They do a great veggie breakfast. Not bike-related, but Spring Espresso further up the same street towards the city centre is cracking.

Sandra6

Veteran
It must've been the week for trips to York, we've just got back. And we were in the railway museum on Saturday too!!
We stayed in an apartment on Westgate, overlooking the river a bit, but mostly the post office yard!! I was lured there by the promise of five bikes being available , but it would've taken a week to get them all ride worthy, and to be honest I'd rather not be seen on a dunlop full suss. That's right, I'm a bike snob!!
We did hire from cycle heaven for an afternoon. Mr6 on a brompton and myself on a heavy gazelle that was actually lovely. We made it as far as Naburn, and the "honesty shack" despite following the map and ending up on the wrong side of the river.
Going to York is like going home, as that's where we did our courting and lived as newly weds, but its still nice to be a tourist, so we took trevor rooney's ghost walk - so you don't have to!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well today was our last day and we did the Castle Museum area starting off with the Museum itself which is very good even had an elderly road bike , a chopper and a small Raleigh Bmx if i remember rightly was called the grifter along with a very strange looking tandem .

WP_20160826_11_03_27_Smart.jpg

We then crossed the road and Cliffords tower which offers great views across the City and surrounding area .

WP_20160826_12_12_42_Smart.jpg

And then this afternoon we visited Breezy Knees Gardens which is another great little place and well worth a visit cant vouch for the Cafe but the gardens are superb

http://www.breezyknees.co.uk/

All in all we have had a great week so many thanks to York and all its people

WP_20160826_14_51_59_Smart.jpg

WP_20160826_001.jpg

Last edited:
Guy Fawkes Night 1993 was a big fireworks display at Cliffords Tower. It was too cold so I went to see True Romance in the cinema. I was the only person in there. The ghost of Elvis appeared then the magic mushrooms kicked in. Great night.

Top Bottom