A61 Dronfield by-pass cyclist killed & not yet identified.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steady

Über Member
Not a fan of Derby Telegraph reporting but only article that gives a basic description ("The male is described as male"), but a male, approximately 55 years old , riding a Carrera TDF was killed on the A61 Dronfield by-pass heading in the direction of Chesterfield and at the time of writing unidentified.

RIP - Condolences to the family, and hope they get informed soon.

Police say a cyclist, travelling in the direction of Chesterfield, was struck by a Citroen C3 car travelling in the same direction.​

The cyclist was taken to the Northern General Hospital, in Sheffield, suffering from "serious head injuries" and was pronounced dead shortly before 8.40pm.​

A Derbyshire police spokesman said: "To date, the pedal cyclist has not been identified and as such police are appealing for anyone to come forward who may be unsure of the whereabouts of a friend or family member who went out for a bike ride today and has not returned as expected.​

"The male is described as male, white, about 55 years of age, 5'6" - 5'8" tall with short grey hair. He has a small scar to his abdomen."

The spokesman said the bicycle is a Carrera TDF road racing bike with a black and yellow frame. It has black drop-down handlebars, a black saddle.​

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Cyclist-dies-hit-car-Derbyshire/story-22047030-detail/story.html

MrWill

What a shame.

Looks like a 70mph road, is it?

OP
OP
Steady

Steady

Über Member
I think it is the 70mph dual carriageway, another site had a vague picture of the road and looked to match the Google link above.

It does highlight the importance of carrying something physically identifiable.

Sara_H

Guru
This is indeed a 70mph dual carriageway, the main route from the south side of sheffield to the M1.

I drive frequently down here at 70mph, the vast majority of motorists drive in excess of 70mph here.

Terrible tragedy for this chap.

OP
OP
Steady

Steady

Über Member
Actually, I just came back to update this thread. Finding news articles about cyclists after a collision is usually few and far between, and most news outlets don't bother to follow them up. The next days article was just a copy and paste of the original with "Mystery cyclist still unidentified" so I didn't update the thread, but now today they have finally released an e-fit of the man which hopefully will help in tracing him down.

6592549-large.jpg

Better description of his clothing now too, seems to have a history with triathlons.

He was wearing a white t-shirt which said ‘Barnsley Metrodome Triathlon 1990’ and there was a sticker on the back of his helmet that said ‘Friar Tuck Triathlon 2002’, the race number was 100. This suggests that he may have been active in taking part in triathlons at some point.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/E-f...tify-cyclist/story-22077879-detail/story.html

D

Deleted member 26715

Incredible that no-one has missed him, unless he was on a cycling holiday etc. those at home may not have missed him yet.

Alan...

Sara_H

Guru
Incredible that no-one has missed him, unless he was on a cycling holiday etc. those at home may not have missed him yet.

Alan...
Given the description of the stickers, I think it's likely he's a local.
Maybe he's a single retired chap, which could account for why no ones's missed him yet.
Very sad.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
Derbyshire Police website, Posted on 6th August 2014

Derbyshire police want to thank members of the public for their response to an appeal on the identification of a cyclist who died in a road collision.

The incident happened on a stretch of the A61 near Dronfield on Thursday, July 31, and involved Citroen C3 and a man riding a yellow and black Carrera bicycle.

The cyclist suffered serious head injuries in the collision and died at hospital.

Police investigating the incident released photographs yesterday of the man’s cycle helmet, along with an Evo-fit image, as he was not carrying any identification.

A substantial number of calls from the public have since been received and police now have enough information to progress to the next stage of the investigation.

A Derbyshire police spokesman said: “The response to our appeal was excellent and the information we received has been of great assistance to the officers in this case.

“We would like to thank those who came forward or shared the appeal online.”

annie65115

I am new here, I've found the site after googling Malcolm Cottam.

I knew Mr Cottam (though not terribly well) and was utterly shocked to find out, only today, about this accident; it clearly wasn't given much airplay on local radio at the time.

The efit pic looks nothing like him and I would not have recognised him at all from that!

The road concerned is a 70mph although there is a marked "verge" (I'd hesitate to call it a bike lane; it's quite narrow and has no markings to suggest cycle use) which I would use if I were to cycle along it; you see very few cyclists on it though and I wouldn't much fancy riding it, even in the marked lane. As someone else says above, 70mph is treated a bit like a suggested minimum target by drivers along here.

My condolences to all who knew Mr Cottam; RIP Malcolm; and stay safe y'all.

Top Bottom