AAARRRGGG!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A bit of a rant, sorry,

So we are thinking of moving house. Various reasons. So we start looking at what is available. Some places that would be good and should be affordable with a little bit more mortgage. So we look at getting advice on selling and advice on the mortgage.

We have a 5 year fixed, (1 year in) so we need to stay with current lender. Phone them up to get an extension (not a huge amount). Go through all the questions...

Hmm. My wife is pregnant. OK. Will be on maternity leave for a while. OK. 'We will need proof that she will be returning to work'. Fine we will get a letter from employer. Other than that it will be tight, but we should be ok (don't want to use all of it anyway). 'OK you have a mortgage in principle.

Ta.

Send off all the stuff, including the letter. Today I get a phone call from them.

Bank:Ummm sir, your letter doesn't state she will be 100% returning to work, just that she fully intends to and is expected to.

Me: Yes. The employer can't possibly say she will 100% definitely return. How could they. It is possible that she would decide not to (she won't of course- we can't afford that).

Bank: That is true they never could have said that.

Me: So why did you say we could get the mortgage and ask for a letter that was impossible for the employer to write.

Bank: We probably shouldn't have done that, but we can't underwrite the loan unless the employer can say that she will return with 100% certainty.

Me: But you just agreed that that is impossible!!!

:evil::cheers:!:angry::tired:!:biggrin:

We have just spent well over £1000 putting the house on sale etc. Nothing has changed. They agreed in principle. Unless the duty manager (he is going away to chat with him as this is an unusual situation) can over-rule. We are bu@@ered. AAAARGGGHHHHH! And it looks like the house move is off.

I fully expect a PB time on my cycle home tonight.

wafflycat

Get the name of the chief exec of the lender. Write to him/her personally. It can work. Done it in the past for a few mortgage clients and it can often work.

Arch

Married to Night Train
How can you say anything with 100% certainty? I mean, and god forbid, but a piano could get dropped on her or something....

Jim_Noir

Effen bankers. We have 5 years left on our mortgage, the bank manager is always on at us to take loan to repay what is left and be mortgage free... the word NO means nothing to him.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Right. It's all sorted now. He heard who I was....:biggrin:

After talking to his boss (and probably discussing how much of a mess they have made of this) and asking me one question:

Your children wouldn't be going to nursery if your wife doesn't go back to work, would they?..... No

..it is all sorted.

However, they did suggest that this would be an issue for any pregnant lady, i.e. if their employer could not write a letter suggesting that they will be 100% certain to return to work, then the ladies pay could not be taken into account. Crazy! Smacks of discrimination against pregnant ladies if you ask me.

Still, it is sorted now, so I cannot complain.....too much.

Arch,

My wife can play the piano, so I am now worried!!:biggrin:;)

HJ.... shhhhhhh! He might be reading! ;)

Oh and no PB on the way home, but it was a good average considering the traffic and the slow cyclist in the tunnel! :rofl:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Mr Pig said:
Not interested in moving out of Glasgow? I've just found out what my neighbours house will be selling for, goes on sale tomorrow.

It will probably be a move out of Glasgow. Looking at Bearsden, Milngavie and most likely (i.e. somewhere we can actually afford) Torrance. Personally I'm keen on Torrance as I would be closer to the Campsies. :biggrin:

Mr Pig

Look at Plains, it's just the other side of Airdrie.

Down side, it's a dump! Up sides, it's not far from much nicer places! ;0) They're building a new railway that'll give you Glasgow and Edinburgh from a station about a mile away. Probably wrong place for you but let me know, very good value this house.

Downside you'd be next to Mr.Pig: Upside you'd be next to Mr.Pig.

Flip the coin and decide

:biggrin:

I'd live next to Mr.Pig.

Mr Pig

Crackle said:
Downside you'd be next to Mr.Pig: Upside you'd be next to Mr.Pig.

Actually, the good thing is that you've got miles of countryside and quiet roads in three directions and you're never short of someone to go cycling with. I was out on my own tonight but that's unusual. There's a little group of us so even if people are away on holiday etc you can still find someone who's coming out to play :0) There's about eight of us going to Calendar on Saturday.

Yip, the best thing about Plains is the road away from it! ;0)

Top Bottom