Accredidation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
Im wanting to do the whole lot so 1-4 to be an accredited track rider, manchester looks best to me but even glasgow would do, is it possible to do the lot over a few days? I dont live local to either and dont drive so id have to stay in a hotel nearby so was hoping to do it in say 2-3 days and make a trip of it or do you need to pass one before you book the other?

bianchi1

Guru
Why do want to be track accredited?

bianchi1

Guru
My advice would be do a taster session or two first then take it from there. I believe some velodromes do an intensive full day, but it does not lead to acredditation. It just gives you the basic skills so that you can gain the experience to get that all important acredditation.

And that's the key...it's all about hours on the track. You can ride at newport at the drop in sessions without any acredditation...but if you are not safe, the chances are the other riders will let you know before the coach does. Either way your ride will be over.

Track riding and racing is great, but does involve a huge amount of sacrifice, cost and time. If you don't drive and don't live within cycling distance of a velodrome I would ask what's the point? I only go once a week, and it costs me around 30 quid (100 mile round trip+track cost) Then there's the cost of a track bike and wheels. Most folk are on £1000 + machines as their training bikes then add 100% more on race day. All that for 4 odd minutes of effort if you are TT'er or seconds if you are a sprinter.

Best of luck with your efforts.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Its just one of those things i can say ive done tbh and to show im capeable of it, and i think it will be good fun and abit of a challenge, any idea if manchester does an intensive course?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is unlikely you will do it in 4 days, especially given that your chance of passing it not solely dictated by your own ability, but by the group of random people you end up riding with, particularly on public sessions.

Plus being "accredited" isn't really anything to boast about, loads of choppers get accredited, it is basically a slip or paper to say you aren't a liability (even though loads passing are a liability), not that you are particularly skilled. Plus you don't even need to be accredited to race several of the leagues and competitions... unless you plan to race certain leagues or attend certain training sessions then it is an expensive slip of paper to acquire. They will also revoke it if you don't use it and ask you to jump through a few hoops to have it re-instated.

Last edited:

zizou

Veteran
Glasgow doesnt offer accreditation in a concentrated way, usually takes a few weeks to get booked onto each session. I think this is the same for Manchester.

I might be wrong but i think Newport has offered a weekend course before.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Glasgow doesnt offer accreditation in a concentrated way, usually takes a few weeks to get booked onto each session. I think this is the same for Manchester.

I might be wrong but i think Newport has offered a weekend course before.

You can normally get on Manchester within a reasonable time AFAIK. At least for taster sessions etc. Not an issue for me as my club generally have loads of track time booked.

zizou

Veteran
You can normally get on Manchester within a reasonable time AFAIK. At least for taster sessions etc. Not an issue for me as my club generally have loads of track time booked.

When it first opened i made alot of allowances for poor organisation in Glasgow thinking it was teething troubles but things havent improved much since - one of the annoyances is that clubs are not allowed to book their own track time, even if all the riders are accreditated and can supply their own coach!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
When it first opened i made alot of allowances for poor organisation in Glasgow thinking it was teething troubles but things havent improved much since - one of the annoyances is that clubs are not allowed to book their own track time, even if all the riders are accreditated and can supply their own coach!

We have loads of track time booked on Manchester (seems almost weekly at this stage and whenever a cancellation comes up, they seem to phone us asking if we want the slot), we also hire the coaches, but we don't need riders to be accredited, or even to have ridden the track, although it will be made clear what the track session is going to be used for, and if you are not up to that, then you will be encouraged to "think about it", e.g. someone who has never ridden the track won't be encouraged to attend a session that will be used for team pursuit preparation, or a mock race league event etc but then lots of sessions are booked to cater for those people too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom