Action Cam Review.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

I guess a good number of cyclists like to take video footage of their rides (especially the crazy descents down mountains if youtube is any yardstick), and they are also useful during a commute, as evidence if you are on the wrong end of an irate motorists driving.

Although I don't commute by bike, I thought I'd look at buying a GoPro or similar to record some of the rides I do while on holidays etc.

I know GoPro are the market leader in these type of video cameras, and probably for good reason, but you certainly seem to pay a premium for the name as well. I was researching HD Action Cams the other day and literally chanced upon the Vivitar DVR 794HD.

It is, as the name might suggest, a High Definition unit and has a 12 megapixel sensor for still shots. It comes with a waterproof casing, a helmet mount, a bracket for attaching to your handlebar, charging adapter, and a USB lead. The only thing you'll need to buy additionally is a micro SD card. I bought mine from Argos, and the camera was £59.99, and I got a 16gb SD card and adapter for £19.99. Whole deal was just under £80.00, which is so much cheaper than an equivalent GoPro.

As with most action cam's, there is no LCD viewfinder screen on the rear, so reviewing your footage will have to wait until you can play back on your laptop or PC. You can hook it up via the USB and run it through the supplied software, but in all honesty, it's easier to just stick the SD card in a card reader slot and off you go.

The camera itself is pretty small, has minimal external controls and features a tiny LCD screen on the top which shows resolution selected, mode (video or still), number of shots available, minutes of video remaining etc etc. It is pretty tiny so you'll need good eyesight (or strong glasses) to see it. Once you're used to how the unit works the screen is almost surplus to requirements anyway.

The lens has a fixed focal length and features a 120 degree field of view. Inevitably, with such a wide angle lens, you do get some distortion at the edges, but no more than most other (more expensive) units out there. In my opinion, picture quality, when played back through my laptop, is excellent, with sharp images and good colour reproduction. I'll have to purchase a separate HDMI lead to enable successful playback direct to the TV. Sound is OK, but the waterproof casing, unsurprisingly, muffles it a little. A 16gb SD card will allow 2 hours, 45 minutes of video to be taken at maximum resolution (if the battery lasted that long). I've seen reviews suggesting a battery life of up to 2 hours, but others claiming only around 1 hour. Haven't used the unit long enough yet to be able to comment on battery life with any authority though. The good thing is that the battery is a separate unit rather than being built in, so I presume it would be possible to purchase a second "back-up" just in case.

Also included in the box is a basic remote control, which may be of limited use as it only works when pointed directly at the front of the camera.

There are probably better action cams out there, but having seen footage shot on some of the more well known brands, personally I would (at this stage) find it difficult to justify paying the considerable premium for a GoPro when comparing the quality of the video with the Vivitar DVR 794HD.

£60.00 for the camera itself, looks like a great bargain for what seems like a pretty well made, easy to use unit which yields good quality results. I'll add any relevant details which may become apparent in long term use in due course, and maybe upload some footage of this Saturdays ride.

Would definitely recommend this unit so far.

Custom24

Über Member
That camera does look decent. I have two SJ4000 cameras that I am happy with, but this looks as good, if not better, and is available from reputable outlets to boot. Would be interested to see footage. For me, the killer question is - can it resolve a registration plate at dusk?

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Excellent.

I don't like the Wide setting on the GoPro (118 degrees). I use the Medium setting of 94 degrees or Narrow of 64 degrees. I guess that is something the Vivitar or SJ4000 can't do.
Hi Drummerbod,

I'm also guessing the Vivitar hasn't got the narrow and medium settings. There certainly doesn't seem to be any external control on the camera itself to adjust this, so unless it is changeable via a hook-up to the software I'll have to just stay with the 120 degree field of view.

Haven't got round to installing the software yet, so perhaps more features may become apparent then. One thing I have seen somewhere, and I can't remember where (either in a product review or specification) is that you can change the rate of video capture between 30 or 60 frames per second. I guess if this is the case, then 60 fps would produce a very smooth running picture indeed, but in all honesty 30fps always looks decent enough anyway.

If I hadn't chanced upon the Vivitar, whilst researching a GoPro, I probably would have ended up with the market leader (although most likely the lower spec unit that Argos have currently for about £100).

I'll load up the software over the weekend, have a play with the camera, and see if it does any tricks.

drummerbod

Lower shutter speed gives a smoother effect. Higher shutter speed gives a crisper image with a staccato effect (I prefer).

I capture at 60fps and encode down to 30fps - keeping the crisper image (less motion blur).

Also, have you tried playing 1080p 60fps on a variety of devices? There are still many that don't support 60fps playback.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Hi, looking for an 'action cam' to film my commute in the mornings and came across this thread - would you still recommend it now?

Thanks
Hi Iancity.

Not as well recommended now I've been using it a few weeks, but still pretty good for only £60.

The first one had a tiny black mark on the inside of the lens, so I took it back to Argos. The replacement, which is exactly the same model, seems to struggle to deal with even subtle changes in light. I recently filmed a rowing event my kids were involved in. It was a sunny day, and as I panned round to follow the action a blue cast seemed to materialise on the whole picture. Could just be a slightly dodgy sensor I suppose, as the first one was OK. However, I have now decided to return it to Argos again, tell them I do not want another replacement Vivitar, but instead, pay an additional £50 to get a Kitvision HD 10.

The HD 10 gets really good write-ups in reviews, and if you look on YouTube for sample footage you'll see that it takes very good quality footage. Another bonus is that it comes with a detachable TFT screen on the rear, so that you can see what you are filming (something that a lot of action cams don't see to have).

In all honesty, if you purely need an action cam to record commutes, and to film potential hazard situations, then the Vivitar certainly produces clear and sharp HD footage, and in my opinion, would certainly be excellent for this, but if you want it for filming action you want to save and watch again and again, I think I'd look more towards the Kitvision HD 10.

The Kitvision is only available for home delivery through Argos at £109.00.

Hope this helps matey.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

*cough* I happen to be selling a Shimano camera in classifieds
Hahaha! Well, wouldn't you know it!! Iancity, you need to talk to this guy.

Thanks bikeman, appreciate your input....TMHNET, lol - a little too pricey for what I was looking to pay, not too far out the ball park but probably not close enough for you to consider...I do only want it for filming the commute then Ill just record over it straight away, not looking for action footage.
So undecided :eek:

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Thanks bikeman, appreciate your input....TMHNET, lol - a little too pricey for what I was looking to pay, not too far out the ball park but probably not close enough for you to consider...I do only want it for filming the commute then Ill just record over it straight away, not looking for action footage.
So undecided :eek:
The Vivitar will definitely be OK for your intended purpose Iancity. The HD footage is sharp and will definitely pick up a registration number on freeze-frame. If I only needed a camera to record a commute I would definitely be keeping the Vivitar.

Top Bottom