Add-on mud flap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have noticed that even though I have mudguards fitted on the bike, I am still getting spray and crud being flicked up from the front tyre. This is because there is no mud flap at the base of the front mudguard which means my feet and the downtube are in the line of fire.

Is there any add-on mud flap that I can get to fix onto the mudguard to provide more coverage or am I stuck with what I have unless I buy a new set?

Cheers all
smile.gif

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
A common way of making one is cutting out a section of milk carton and attaching it.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Brooks do a leather one. I think its about £20. Most people on club runs use the DIY method.

DIY it by using washing up bottles or sports bottles. Just cut one up and bolt it to the guard. Im sure Ive seen a big blog post on it somewhere ?

I've recently fitted THESE guards to my winter bike, (FWIW £21.99 at my LBS :thumbsup:). Anyway, I wanted to add a rear mudflap too. Tortec do offer an additional mudflap HERE, but this is designed only for their larger size guards, and mine are 700x20-26.

So I've fitted one of THESE to the rear of mine and I'm very happy with it. I see no reason why you couldn't fit one to your front guard. Of course it may not be exactly appropriate from a styling point of view, however, it fits the overall look of my winter bike perfectly, but it's another option for you to consider :thumbsup:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've been thinking about this too.

FWIW, I have the sort of mudflap on the front as that Tor-Tec one - not impressed by it, I think a more flexible material is needed.

Truck or tractor inner tube seems to be highly thought of, as does damp proof membrane. Must get around to bodgin one onto the LHT.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Here you go, truck tube mudflap, NO DRILLING;

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15853

Davidc

Guru
My last ones were a 1 1/2 litre coca cola plastic bottle and 6 pop rivets. (3 per wheel)

Reminds me ..... Must fit them to my present bike.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Plastic milk containers, roof felt, or in my case...the packaging from Michelin Krylion Tyres.

Drills two holes at the bottom of the existing guard and zip tie extension or drill one hole and use a nut & bolt.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pop bottles cut up - very common on club runs !!

If you are looking for something more 'fetching' then stuff like pond liner/damp proof mambraine are all good.

If it's too flexible, the flap will get blown upwards at speed, or in strong winds.

I'm going to get some cheap short mudguards for the MTB for winter (for ICE/SNOW days) - but they will be bodged with DIY mudflaps.

FWIW, I have the sort of mudflap on the front as that Tor-Tec one - not impressed by it, I think a more flexible material is needed.
To be honest after the weather we've had over the last couple of weeks I'm not impressed by the standard front Tortec one either. Fortunately I wear Northwave GTX boots for commuting, (Gore-tex),but even so, they shouldn't get as wet as they do off the front wheel IMO.

I think I'll swap it for another Brooks one as they are much wider, more flexible and I can probably mount it slightly lower than the standard one too.

Top Bottom