Admin's "Hello" threads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I forgot to mention - I installed a modification to the forums yesterday that auto-welcomes new member.

However - and this is the important bit - don't let it put anyone else off saying hello - the more the merrier !!! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hello Shaun :evil:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
It's a ploy to try and catch Arch for the most posts :biggrin:

Bugger ... I've been rumbled.

Actually I'd never even considered that.

COME ONE - SIGN-UP and bump my post count.

(You know I'll never catch Arch though ... right? ;) )

Cheers,

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
They haven't gone anywhere - new members can still post an independent thread to say " Hello" ... :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm not sure I like this as individual forum threads as it overloads the Welcome Mat, hiding the new posts from new members.

Is it possible to send the same sort of thing as a PM, maybe with a few links to the sticky in Beginners and Riding as I think this would be more useful?

Norm

I'm not sure I like this as individual forum threads as it overloads the Welcome Mat, hiding the new posts from new members.

Is it possible to send the same sort of thing as a PM, maybe with a few links to the sticky in Beginners and Riding as I think this would be more useful?
Have we got the "Norm likes this :thumbsup: " option sorted yet, because, well, Norm likes this. :biggrin:

Besides, an automated welcome isn't really a welcome at all, is it? It kinda smacks of "Please hold, your call is important to us..."

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
At the moment the "Welcome" system sends a PM, email, and creates a thread in the Welcome Mat forum.

I suppose the threads could make a general welcome by community members a bit redundant.

If you think it would be better to turn off the threads in the Welcome Mat, just let me know and I'll kill them ... :smile:

Cheers,

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
That seems a bit drastic, Admin (Sir). They might be very friendly.

laugh.gif

I would suggest you do kill them (the posts that is not the members :whistle:). If PMs are already going out then all the posts are doing is cluttering up the Welcome mat and using up extra server resources.

Norm

As we've had nearly 50 of these "hello to..." threads and only one has elicited a response, I think that turning them off could only be considered a good thing.

"Please do continue to hold, your call is important to us..."

adds21

Rider of bikes
As we've had nearly 50 of these "hello to..." threads and only one has elicited a response, I think that turning them off could only be considered a good thing.

+1. It just fills the forum with noise, which makes seeing the "real" posts harder.

Top Bottom