Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The River Lea in East London is sometimes spelt Lee. I thought it was just all a bit random, but that's not the case.

Lea refers to the natural river and natural features, but Lee refers to the canalised section (The Lee Navigation) and man made features.

I grew up in a town called Moreton on the Wirral
note the "e" in the middle

Near the station there is a pub called "The Morton Arms" - note the lack of an "e"

I was never quite sure of why this was

so I checked at some point - it wasn;t the sort of pub I would go into - rather "difficult" clientele apparently

anyway - apparently the pub is named after Lord Morton who was famous at some point - so is spelled differently
the town is just a contraction of "town/village in the marsh (more)"

There was even an article the the local paper when the pub was renovated a while ago where they were saying that at long last the pub had a chance to fix the "well know mistake"

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Clothing labels/tags are always on the left.

It ain't necessarily so:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a...t-realised-learned.284396/page-6#post-6700003
Worth following the thread back to my first post on this subject.

Welcome back to the forum, by the way, and sincere condolences. You've been missed!

Dave7

Legendary Member
I grew up in a town called Moreton on the Wirral
note the "e" in the middle

Near the station there is a pub called "The Morton Arms" - note the lack of an "e"

I was never quite sure of why this was

so I checked at some point - it wasn;t the sort of pub I would go into - rather "difficult" clientele apparently

anyway - apparently the pub is named after Lord Morton who was famous at some point - so is spelled differently
the town is just a contraction of "town/village in the marsh (more)"

There was even an article the the local paper when the pub was renovated a while ago where they were saying that at long last the pub had a chance to fix the "well know mistake"

I used to go to that pub in the 60s. It was a Higsons beer pub and always had a good pint.
To my knowledge its been closed for years.
I never knew about the missing e though.......I will quiz my older Bro on that.

Top Bottom