Advantages of a more expensive bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sutts

Hi All
I have two bikes, one is a hybrid, a Trek 8.4DS...nice bike, but heavy. I also have a Giant Rapid 3. This is a road bike, but with flat handlebars. I tend to use the Giant more these days, it's a little bit quicker and lighter.

I keep thinking I should spend more money, maybe £1500 on a better road bike...but what improvements will I actually get for the money?

Drop bars will give you more postural options when riding, the bike will probably be a bit lighter still and therefore a touch quicker still over your normal rides.

Other than that not a lot IMO.

If you've got the money then fill your boots, if you've not then consider carefully, or at least think about selling a bike or bikes to offset some of the cost.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
....also....it might accelerate a bit faster, the brakes will probably work better, and the gears will shift a bit more crisply. Whether that is worth the money is very much a personal choice. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

sutts

Drop bars will give you more postural options when riding, the bike will probably be a bit lighter still and therefore a touch quicker still over your normal rides.

Other than that not a lot IMO.

If you've got the money then fill your boots, if you've not then consider carefully, or at least think about selling a bike or bikes to offset some of the cost.

Thanks. I do wonder just how much quicker bikes get for all of that money though!

OP
OP
S

sutts

....also....it might accelerate a bit faster, the brakes will probably work better, and the gears will shift a bit more crisply. Whether that is worth the money is very much a personal choice. Good luck.

Ok. Yes, there is a noticeable difference between my Trek and the Giant. The Giant changes gears much more crisply.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
What are Ultegra gears and what is the advantage? Sorry, I genuinely don't know.
Shimano have a range of gears
Claris (or something like that anyway) is bottom of the range
Sora, next one up
Tiagra. Mid range and as solid as a rock
105s, really good gears
Ultegras, like 105s but lighter (eat a bag of crisps and that's the weight advantage stuffed :laugh:)

Then you get into the Di2 electronic stuff but not on a £1500 bike ^_^

The planet X £999 bike has SRAM Rivals, which are a different brand, probably somewhere between Tiagra & 105s in comparison. I really like them.

I have a Giant Defy (as well as my Carbon PX bike) and have Tiagra on there and it rocks. The gears shift beautifully. Much better than Hubsters old Vanquish.

OP
OP
S

sutts

Shimano have a range of gears
Claris (or something like that anyway) is bottom of the range
Sora, next one up
Tiagra. Mid range and as solid as a rock
105s, really good gears
Ultegras, like 105s but lighter (eat a bag of crisps and that's the weight advantage stuffed :laugh:)

Then you get into the Di2 electronic stuff but not on a £1500 bike ^_^

The planet X £999 bike has SRAM Rivals, which are a different brand, probably somewhere between Tiagra & 105s in comparison. I really like them.

Thanks. Great info!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Or save your money until you are sure what you ultimately want by buying a really good second hand road bike from one of the CCers... there are always some fantastic bikes in the 'For Sale' section.

Top Bottom