Advertising and traffic analysis sites are ruining the interweb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've noticed increasingly more in recent years, that web sites that should load fairly quickly take several minutes to load, normally accompanied by messages stating loading of other sites related to doubleclick.net, google-analytics.com, etc. Personally, I think that these advertising and traffic-analysis sites are ruining the interweb, because it's just not as fast as it could be, given the speed of computers is increasing every year. OK: rant over! :thumbsup:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That MatureDatingUK lady who appeared to be stalking me from CycleChat seems to have left me after a couple of years. Now I get endless banners of the last geeky items that I looked at on Amazon, Ebay and RS Components, whatever website I visit. It's creepy.
Is there a way to block this garbage.....
and let the MatureDating lady to creep in?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That MatureDatingUK lady who appeared to be stalking me from CycleChat seems to have left me after a couple of years. Now I get endless banners of the last geeky items that I looked at on Amazon, Ebay and RS Components, whatever website I visit. It's creepy.
Adblock. It's an addon for Firefox (and possibly other browsers). Certainly available for PC, and probably for Mac. Doesn't appear to be available for an Android tablet though.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Actually, to expand on what I said (and give some good news :thumbsup:), I did find a way to minimise the impact of some of these sites, which goes as follows:
  1. I click a URL, and it starts loading.
  2. My Firefox browser's status bar says it's loading 'au.doubleclick.net' (or something similarly annoying).
  3. I click the Back and then Forward buttons in rapid succession, and by some miracle the URL loads with no further faffing about.
I don't know why that works, but it works pretty consistently! :laugh:

Dismount

en-GB

MatureDatingUK lady who appeared to be stalking me from CycleChat seems to have left me after a couple of years. Now I get endless banners of the last geeky items that I looked at on Amazon, Ebay and RS Components, whatever website I visit. It's creepy.

I am assuming you use Googles search engine you can disable the ad tracker

https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en-GB

Another option would be to use a different search engine duck duck go or blekko

Top Bottom