Adverts promoting fast driving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You might have grounds to write to the ASA under the grounds of a 208 gti being front wheel drive, it would never handle that well in those conditions and the roll over the half pipe is just not going to happen with the way they are built. madness

The trouble is that most car adverts are along the same lines. Many car manufacturers show a car driving along on quiet roads, with perfect tarmac, often through mountains, whilst the driver (almost always male) is enjoying the ride, with a serene look on their face. No other cars in view. They're trying to sell an image of motoring perfection which of course doesn't fit in with the typical driving conditions where the actual purchaser will end up doing a 15 mile daily commute in end to end traffic with lots of potholes. Living the dream. :wacko:

StuartG

slower but further
The trouble is that most car adverts are along the same lines.
Yes you are right but not as explicitly as this. It stuck out the first time I saw it as an extreme example of this genre I had not seen before outside of a Bond film. Indeed I don't seem to have seen it again so maybe somebody was reminded of the rules. If not, i hope ASA will rule this is the wrong side of the line. If not we really do need to force them to redraw the line.

We had a hot-hatch smash at the bottom of our road after losing control at a speed far higher than the 30mph limit. Five young men dead. Tragic. We really don't need to be encouraging this behaviour.

Last edited:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've seen the ad and am also frustrated, though not for the same reasons. What gets my goat is that the ad seems to suggest that the 205gti is back...and then introduces a totally different car.

Eh?

Is it the new 205 or not. If not then stop trying to flog it as such.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
You have already become brainwashed by the car industry promotion machine. Little hope for you now but we should be protecting the next generation.
Lol....

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
LOL we serious.

How often does someone take a trip to the Alps getting chases by an AC130 or attack helis. I think I would be driving fast too.
Lets ban action moves with fast driving as we don't need any James Bond wannabes

Its an Advert ffs

LOL we serious.

How often does someone take a trip to the Alps getting chases by an AC130 or attack helis. I think I would be driving fast too.
Lets ban action moves with fast driving as we don't need any James Bond wannabes

Its an Advert ffs

So the advert is totally irrelevant then. Makes you wonder why the manufacturer spent millions on it, doesn't it?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So if they don't work why do they spend so much money on them?
Road rider didn't say they didn't work...in fact this ad seems to have worked really well on road rider , judging by the "nice little car" post.
The comment was that it was just an advert...why all the fuss.

Personally, I think we should make a fuss over adverts (which most likely won't exist in this form for much longer as fewer and fewer people watch scheduled programmes these days) . Adverts are constant and everywhere, they seep into our subconscious controlling our choices, aspirations and in many people, our personalities.

Having said that, I don't see the fuss over a car driving fast on a deserted, fantasy location

Top Bottom