Advice on locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxred81

Hi
I own a Kryptonite series 4; and have recently got another lock thrown in when I bought a bike. The new lock is an Abus 51/150. I was wondering which is better?
The Kryptonite is a thicker d-lock which I would think is better but i've been told the Abus is more tamper-resistant.
Any thoughts?
I've been googling for a while and haven't found a direct comparison/review.
Thanks!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You should use two locks when locking your bicycle. Use both :smile:

If someone wants to take your bicycle, they will, no matter what you lock it with.

Number14

Guru
[QUOTE 1335816"]
Why two locks? And why would I want to use two locks when you have in fact given the advice that if someone was nick your bike they could - therefore it does not matter how many locks I use.

Surely the best advice would be it is how you lock your bike then the amount of locks you need?

[attachment=2642:bikelock.jpg]

OP: The Abus 54 is about the best bike lock you can buy imho. And I would go with Abus everytime.

[/quote]

Why is the Abus 54 the best lock you can buy? Why would you go with Abus everytime?

Davidc

Guru
The measured standard is the sold secure one. Any lock which meets that standard should be proof against the amateur type thief.

gaz is right - a determined professional type thief will get your bike if they want to no matter what lock you use. Not sure why he says use two though, unless one's an alarm padlock and one's a high security D lock.

Amazon are doing Masterlock Sold Secure Gold locks at just over £20 at present.

Anyone trying to steal either of my bikes runs a serious risk of permanent hearing damage, so I just hope the noise scares them off before they get the bike!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 1335816"]
Why two locks? And why would I want to use two locks when you have in fact given the advice that if someone was nick your bike they could - therefore it does not matter how many locks I use.

Surely the best advice would be it is how you lock your bike then the amount of locks you need?

[attachment=2642:bikelock.jpg]

OP: The Abus 54 is about the best bike lock you can buy imho. And I would go with Abus everytime.

[/quote]

With a d-lock, please describe how you can secure your frame and both your wheels without removing any of the wheels*?
Would it be possible to secure your frame and both your wheels with two d-locks?

Mainly of the cycling groups/lobbies/charities/etc.. say that it is best to lock your bicycle with two locks, do you not agree?

* I saw without removing any of the wheels as it's a pain in the arse to do every time you want to lock your bike, it also means that every time you need to unlock your bike, you need to put them back on again.

The reason behind using two is to secure the frame and wheels. It stops an opportunistic thief from taking them. If i had a wheel for every time i walked past a bike and could have taken a wheel. I would have a lot of wheels!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You could use locking skewers for the wheels ... that's what I do ... not the most secure I admit ... all it takes if for them to have the same 5 sided allen key but I can't be bothered with carrying 2 D locks all the time, and I lock the back wheel and frame with one D-lock as standard. Its not how many wheels I could have as bikes only locked up by the wheel! (If we join forces we could sell complete bikes :biggrin: )

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Abus 54 user here too

OP
OP
O

oxred81

The measured standard is the sold secure one. Any lock which meets that standard should be proof against the amateur type thief.

gaz is right - a determined professional type thief will get your bike if they want to no matter what lock you use. Not sure why he says use two though, unless one's an alarm padlock and one's a high security D lock.

Amazon are doing Masterlock Sold Secure Gold locks at just over £20 at present.

Anyone trying to steal either of my bikes runs a serious risk of permanent hearing damage, so I just hope the noise scares them off before they get the bike!

good Tip DavidC, thanks (re Amazon)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Though a lot of the reviews seem to suggest problems with sticking and jamming locks and even broken keys.

People tend to say that with locks in general because they don't tend to lubricate them. It might be a problem with that particular lock too but it's something that's fairly common.

Davidc

Guru
Though a lot of the reviews seem to suggest problems with sticking and jamming locks and even broken keys.

I've seen some of those comments, but haven't had any problems with the one I've been usng for the past 2 years. It's really a case of buyer beware I suppose.

I've just bought one of the Amazon ones to replace a lighter and thinner D lock (not to the secure standards) which the little sh1te$ outside a local leisure centre managed to bend before the alarm went off. (The only good thing was that they ran before they'd put their hoodies back up so the CCTV got good pictures of their faces.) Took some effort to get it off after they'd finished and now it won't lock any more.

I've checked that the new one locks and unlocks correctly and I've made sure it has some oil down inside it so hoping it'll be as good as the other one. BTW are you supposed to use Finish Line wet on locks?

One issue with the Masterlock locks is that the clamp supplied to hold them on the bike isn't very good. The locks can jump out and also they rattle. I have mine fixed with its clamp on the seat tube so that the U bit is beside the stay. I've put self amalgamating rubber tape on the stay, and use a piece of Velcro self grip tie to hold the lock tight to the stay. It hasn't come loose while riding - yet.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
People tend to say that with locks in general because they don't tend to lubricate them. It might be a problem with that particular lock too but it's something that's fairly common.

I've checked that the new one locks and unlocks correctly and I've made sure it has some oil down inside it so hoping it'll be as good as the other one. BTW are you supposed to use Finish Line wet on locks?

People

DO NOT use oil or any other liquid lubricant ON LOCKS. The lock will sieze, the key will jam or break, and there will be much wailing and grinding of teeth.

Graphite, in powered form, is the name of the game.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
People

DO NOT use oil or any other liquid lubricant ON LOCKS. The lock will sieze, the key will jam or break, and there will be much wailing and grinding of teeth.

Graphite, in powered form, is the name of the game.

you can't leave it at that, at the moment I've got an image of lubrication bad but crushed pencil good....you need to elaborate

Top Bottom