Advice regarding a refund please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking for some advice on whether you think I should push for a refund on a fitting fee for contact lenses.

After discussion with my optician about contacts for my daughter it was agreed that we would go ahead and order some for her. We discussed price (£25pm) and that because of my daughters prescription that stock lenses may not be strong enough.
The optician needed a £45 fitting fee paid up front but explained this would be on going over the next few weeks until she found the right lenses for my daughter and had practised with her putting them in and taking them out.

The first fitting session took place and lasted about half an hour and it was decided that the lenses were no good and some tailor made ones would need to be ordered.

After 2 weeks I rang up to see what was happening and to find out if there would be any extra cost incurred to which the receptionist told me she didn't think so.

A week later they ring to say the lenses are in and I again say can you confirm price please as you were going to let me know, again the receptionist says she doesn't think they will be any extra than the £25.

5 minutes later the optician herself rings and says there is an extra cost, they will now be £35pm. I say this is too expensive and why was this not discussed earlier and that I cant afford this extra amount. She gets really shirty saying she's ordered them in at a cost to her and I keep saying that she never discussed an extra cost and that if she had done I would have cancelled the order straight away. I explain that because I cant afford the extra cost I'll have to cancel and can I get a refund on the fitting fee. She is very rude and tells me no.

So. Do you think I am entitled to a refund or part refund of the £45? I know she has incurred a cost ordering in the lenses. She didn't tell me how much extra it would cost or I would have cancelled. We paid £45 for on going fitting not lenses and we haven't had that.

Thoughts please and anyone with legal knowledge please advise before I write my letter to her!

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd put the claim in.

You were told that special lenses were required, which were ordered and therefore couldn't be fitted. They've confirmed the price, no extra payable, and then changed their minds, possibly after they'd realised their mistake.

There were two costs involved. £45 for the optometrist's services and a monthly ongoing cost for the lenses. It was quite possible that contacts were not going to work out - some people, for instance, can bear the feeling, but the £45 was your sunk cost. You are paying for professional services. If you don't like that, there are other eyecare business models on the high street.

I'm not sure why £35 means no. Have you discussed with your optometrist about economising? If they are dailies, she can just not wear them everyday (she's going to need glasses as well, anyway). Then she has contacts for dates, and cycling or whatever, and some days she's still wearing glasses. Part time contacts can give many of the benefits at less of a cost.

If they are extended wear lenses, maybe your daughter would be interested in some part time work for the extra £10.

OP
OP
awomaninsane

awomaninsane

The £35 is a no because we can't afford it, we could afford the £25 initially discussed. My daughter is 14 and I don't want her to work to help me pay for her eye wear.
Think I'll shop around for the lenses, like you say there's plenty of choice.

Crandoggler

I don't think you're entitled to one to be honest. You had a fitting session. Whether they got the lenses right first time or not, the fee would still be the same.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
If you and the option have agreed that the £25 lenses first tried weren't strong enough, and you decided to cancel, then you are the one who ended the agreement, so you are not due a refund (the optician is trying everything they agreed with you)

midlife

Guru
As I see it the £45 was to sort out which lenses were suitable ... if you are not minded to pay the fee per month then that's up to you but the original contract still stands.

Tricky as it depends on your contract with the optician which you have signed.

Shaun

Top Bottom