Aerodynamics - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I think people would be surprised how aerodynamic some big new cars actually are, as an example the latest model RR Sport has a Cd value of under 0.3, which is not what you'd expect, as we know with bike design, aerodynamic improvements are not always obvious, for years we thought aero bikes needed super close clearances and a very low position for the rider, think about the latest Hope GB track bikes and the position of the hands and arms on TT bikes.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
They may be aerodynamic, but it is CdA which provides the wind resistance, i.e. a function of Cd and the frontal area of the car. So a less aerodynamic but smaller car pushes through the air more easily than a bigger but more aerodynamic one.

GilesM

Legendary Member
They may be aerodynamic, but it is CdA which provides the wind resistance, i.e. a function of Cd and the frontal area of the car. So a less aerodynamic but smaller car pushes through the air more easily than a bigger but more aerodynamic one.

It would obviously depend on how much more less aerodynamic the smaller car is, but in most cases I would agree.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Totally agree.. it's a pathetic state of affairs tbh. Was only thinking earlier when out on the bike how the majority of vehicles on the road are now big, high-rise soft-roaders / SUVs / chelsea tractors - with all the horrors their additional mass, size, ride height and frontal area bring to the table.. and for what? Boomer convenience and fashion :sad:

I always wanted to go the other way with an S2 Lotus Elise - modest power in something that weighs as much as a fag packet; sub-6 to sixty and still over 40mpg. Sadly I sat on my hands too long and they're now out of reach.. although there were always practicality concerns.

By and large the way we choose to transport ourselves is a sad indictment of the human condition.

We all have different tastes, my two current cars show that, although the Lotus is off the road at the moment, to be sorted once I get enough time at home. Both cars are obviously very different, but both lots of fun, similar top speed and 0 to 60 times, although one needs three times the power of the other to achieve this performance.
One is definitely better than the other in floods, snow, mud and towing our teardrop caravan, and one is definitely more fun on a twisty dry road with the sun shinning.

IMGP3402.JPG

DSCN4371.JPG

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
We all have different tastes, my two current cars show that, although the Lotus is off the road at the moment, to be sorted once I get enough time at home. Both cars are obviously very different, but both lots of fun, similar top speed and 0 to 60 times, although one needs three times the power of the other to achieve this performance.
One is definitely better than the other in floods, snow, mud and towing our teardrop caravan, and one is definitely more fun on a twisty dry road with the sun shinning.

View attachment 730094

View attachment 730095

WOW .. you’re rich … thanks for telling us …in great detail .... I take it you’re a Vegan Pilot … 😂

Top Bottom