Aggressive driver - what should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roger06

I'm on the main road this morning as my cycle route is closed for repairs. This morning was mega clear weather with about the best visibility imaginable. I'm riding in a high viz jacket, bike lights and helmet light.

Cars often pass me close but one guy zoomed passed me leaving mm to spare. It was a straight stretch of road with nothing on-coming so he could have given me loads of clearance. I did the palm-up "what are you doing?" gesture (ie no fingers) to which he gesticulated back, thus he was clearly looking in his mirror after passing me probably to see if I was still upright.

I caught up with him in traffic and was not going to confront him but he was already waiting with his window open and giving me the V sign. I simply repeated his reg number so he could hear me then rode to a safe distance and entered the reg into my phone so I wouldn't forget, but close enough for him to see me do it.

I stopped at the police station where I had to speak to someone on the phone as it was closed. Sadly I missed a 0 off the reg number so they couldn't find the car. I've put the reg no. with the 0 into an internet search and it indeed comes up as a Zafira so I now have the right one.

Should I phone the police back or leave it?

thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
With no evidence to corroborate I'd be inclined not to bother.

andyfraser

Über Member
The advice I received from Wiltshire police was to report this sort of thing anyway via 101. They won't do anything but will keep a log of the reg number and if enough people report the same vehicle they'll have a word. I don't know whether that's something other forces do though or whether that's something I've been told to fob me off but they get quite a few calls from me now. :laugh:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I have an almost unbelievable need to clear my throat/ nose if passing someone with their window open who'd just done that.

It's really weird.

Strangely satisfying leaving a snot rocket hanging off his car- extra points for it hanging off his V's.

Pull up next to them, and look for the great big pothole, right next to their car. Put your foot down in the pothole, topple off, grab the wing mirror on the way down, obviously your jacket zip may drag down their door as well.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have an almost unbelievable need to clear my throat/ nose if passing someone with their window open who'd just done that.

It's really weird.

Strangely satisfying leaving a snot rocket hanging off his car- extra points for it hanging off his V's.

If you ever did that to me I would batter you with anything that came to hand. It is the one thing that I will never accept and is utterly disgusting.

You would turn a minor slanging match into a hospital and court case. If that sounds harsh, then it is. But you would deserve it in my book.

Spitting at people would not diffuse any situation. I cannot even grasp the mentality of anyone who would consider spitting at someone else.

400bhp

Guru
If you ever did that to me I would batter you with anything that came to hand. It is the one thing that I will never accept and is utterly disgusting.

You would turn a minor slanging match into a hospital and court case. If that sounds harsh, then it is. But you would deserve it in my book.

Spitting at people would not diffuse any situation. I cannot even grasp the mentality of anyone who would consider spitting at someone else.

You clearly write in a very provocative manner and it's pretty dull to be honest.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I did not mean it to be entertaining. It is how I feel about the subject of spitting at people. But instead of addressing me, how about addressing the member who suggests that cyclists spit at motorists.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.

"your honor I tried to kill him first time to which he retaliated by getting some snot on my arm so I stopped my car and battered him."
Yeah that'll work.

I'm struggling to grasp the mentality of anyone who would consider assault/ gbh/ murder as a reasonable response to some spit.

Besides- he's stuck in traffic, there wouldn't be a situation as I wheelie off into the distance.

Top Bottom