Ah the wonders of a track pump!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
So I have up until recently being using a reasonable hand pump with a presure gauge but wow trying to get the presure up to 100 psi is never going to happen.

I would get to around 80psi and that's it. So I decided that I would invest in a track pump having had a look online I spotted that Halfords did their bike essentials version which was down to £19.99 so purchased that on Friday.

Went out today checked the bike overy and went to top up the air before heading off. Put the track pump on the front and it read 65psi 4 full strokes and wow 110psi without breaking a sweat. To the rear and it was reading 60psi again nice and simple to get to 110psi.

Safe to say the hand pump gauge is well out but it will be kept on the bike just in case as I can still ride on 80psi.

The difference in the correct pressures is amazing and I can't believe it took me that long to purchase a track pump.

I can see you might change your mind re cycling being cheap once you discover all the other helpful things that are available ;)

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
I can see you might change your mind re cycling being cheap once you discover all the other helpful things that are available ;)
Yeah you may be very right there but I have a good way of keeping things cheap its called no money in the bank account and the fact I still have a bit of money left over from birthday and Christmas lol just a long wait for more.

So what other helpful things should I be putting onto my wish list?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
I am not going to be held responsible for making suggestions that lead to your bank account being drained. No sirree, it's bad enough carrying the can for my own foolishness.
It gets drained on its own accord what with monthly standing orders and direct debits so having a wish list just means that when some extra funds allow I can have a look at the list save or spend:laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
Of course it could be the track pump gauge wrong.^_^

There come a time when you spend no more on cycling, I have not got there yet as I only started serious riding 47 years ago. I did ride a bike before that as well.

robgul

Legendary Member
... and even better - there are "track pumps" that double as a seatpost on the bike .... they were originally, I think, introduced by Dahon for their folding bikes ... I have one that came with a Dahon. I did a bit of research and found that you could get them in varying diameters ... I now have one on my Van Nic Ti machines.

It's simple - undo the seat clamp, pull out the seatpost/pump - it has a small hose that retracts in the end - connect to tube, fold out small foot and pump away using the saddle as a the "handle" - fantastic - 100+psi is effortless. Can't remember the brand name for them or where I purchased

The only thing to watch is whether any bottle mounts on the seat tube protrude inside the tube ... genuine "braze-ons" should be OK BUT many are "rivnuts" and have a lump inside the tube that stops the pump/seatpost going down far enough.

Rob

Top Bottom