Aldi and Lidl...will they fall short ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I don't go, but that's because I'm surrounded my Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys, ASDA & all their various expresses, etc. and I really, really, really, really hate shopping & crowds. If they were nearer though, I'd be there in an instant to have a snoop. They can afford to make things so cheap because they have lower overheads. Read quite an interesting article about the way that company is run and it's pure business - apparently, in their offices they regulate pencil / pen usage, so they've got their running costs right down. Can't see that bubble ever bursting & good luck to them :biggrin:

PK99

Legendary Member
Having said that I was in Tesco recently and surprised to see milk down to £1 for 2 litres as it used to be quite a bit more, obviously Aldi and the likes have hit them hard on the basics that they used to fleece convenience shoppers on and they have had to lower prices to compete, what a shame (not)...

and the cost of milk production is?

_61762865_milk304x470.gif

source:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18951422

Parking at our Aldi is fine... Getting back out of the car park onto the main road, with no traffic lights etc to help is nigh on impossible!

This is the only thing that stops me using Aldi at the moment. When I've done it before, I wrote literally cannot cope with spending over half an hour moving 20 metres from a log jammed car park to a log jammed road! If they could just build an exit on the side of the car park which leads into a less used side road, I'd happily shop there all the time.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
There was/is an amusing inverted snobbery about shopping at Lidl. A friend of mine told me she went once but they didn't have anything she wanted:biggrin:.
I suspect she meant they did not have Heinz beans or Cadburys choco drink or John West sardines and was not adventurous enough to try a brand she did not recognise.
Although now I see they have some 'big name' brands

Its strange. Ive travelled and worked abroard, so experiencing different 'genuine' food is to be relished (and sometimes leaves you shuddering)...such as this in Egypt...
Picture014-1.jpg

:laugh:xx(, so i'm not averse to trying different stuff.
But, I do like specific brands, Baked beans for instance, there are a choice of 5 brands in Asda, but I always buy buy the same...because I genuinely like them and more importantly DONT like the others.
Some people do have quite specific likes and dislikes, some of us are not so flexible in choosing...and for us, that's quite right and ok,

I do remember seeing the works secretary in Aldi some years ago when it was quite new. On the following day at work she almost bust a gut to tell me...'Oh I don't normally go in there, I just ran out of some things'
I thought, I don't give a hoot ^_^, you obviously do :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Having said that I was in Tesco recently and surprised to see milk down to £1 for 2 litres as it used to be quite a bit more, obviously Aldi and the likes have hit them hard on the basics that they used to fleece convenience shoppers on and they have had to lower prices to compete, what a shame (not)...

For years, I think Tesco have ripped us off. Our Asda shopping costs us more or less £50 to £60 a week, week in week out. When the huge Tesco store opened in P'Boro, we went and tried it. By the time we'd got 3/4 of the way round, we were already way way over what we normally spent
. Left the trolley, went to Asda, never done a weeks shopping in Tesco since.
However, I went in on the way home to get a 6 pinter of milk...:ohmy: it was cheaper than a 4 pinter from our local Co-op. So they are reacting.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3382437, member: 259"]Ful Medames? Yummy! :hungry:[/QUOTE]
Is that what it is ?
I took one look and shuddered :laugh:...Christ they eat some muck out there (tongue in cheek of course)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The Aldi we use has a covered cycle rack and its not stuck right at the back of the car park but is in full view of a busy street (not sure if it was there or they built it but I suspect the latter) and there is a bus stop outside (on our bus route)
Food wise its as good as any supermarket for ingredients, better than most for booze, the bread biccys and choccy are top notch and it is cheaper.
Whats not to like. :biggrin:

Butty1972

By using Aldi for 80% of our weekly shop (and popping across the road to Sainsburys for one or two things) we are saving at least £20 per week. That's £1000 a year. Or a Dolan l'Etape.

Don't have an Aldi to be able to comment on but Lidl and TK Max. Adverts look brilliant but you go in the shop and -

TK Max. Ad looks like a trendy designer shop. Go in and the stock looks like the junk JB sports could not sell. Ratty cheap junk in two sizes xxxx small or xxxx large. Waste of time.

Lidl. We have a decent fairly new branch near us. You go in and are confronted by shelves stacked high with great big bottles of pop. Chubby low lifes in baggy track suits are scrabbling around filling up trollies with this crap and then moving on to the next aisle which seems to be full of packets of crisps and strange biscuits. Then you drift along and are suddenly in the section selling trolley jacks and high pressure hoses before moving on to an odd range of meat and cheese. Each choice seems to start will "what is it" before then choosing which one.
Amongst all the crud there are some really good things. Their chocolate is good as are the mini choc-ices. I really cannot imagine doing a weekly shop in there as they are so hit and miss on stuff.
The rest of the shop seems to be selling odd bottles of liquor and lots and lots of boiled sweets which also seems to attract the chubs in track suits.

Then you forgive them as they dish out the carrier bags without any guilt trip.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
We get most of our 'bulk' stuff in Lidl (i.e. stuff that e use a lot of in a hungry house of 5) like tins of tomatoes, kidney beans and chick peas, plus spuds, most veg, most fruit, and I get beer (and the odd bit of hardware/cycling gear/base layers that I 'need'). We also get some cereal there (not their cornflakes, they're horrid) and Mrs F won't have their bogroll.; I like their chorizo, and their fairtrade coffee and tea is good. Sugar, cheese, etc too. Not rice, they don't do good rice. Then go to Mozzas for the stuff not available in Lidl.
I was a convert before Mrs F, now busy persuading my once cynical friends too.

Peteaud

Veteran
LidL KitKat (or their version of it) is better than the real thing imho.

We also buy their picallilllillii, pickled onions, fruit juice and some of their pies.

Top Bottom