Aldi and Lidl...will they fall short ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Wonder how many who quibble over the strangely named own brands in Aldi and Lidl buy Asda etc branded goods without thinking about it. Maybe the way to Britishise Aldi and LIdl would be for them to drop the names and just use their own.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Fortunately there is a market for them and they are getting the big sheds worried as they are definitely hitting their market percentages.

The specials each week are very popular, and for me, their fresh fruit and veg beats the others - hands down.
Ok, they will not last as long as the others, however, their quality and taste far outweigh the sheds tasteless crud.

Bought a box full of clementines in Lidl for only £2, they've been the sweetest, most pleasurable clementines I've ever had.

potsy

Rambler
I shop 50% in Aldi and 50% in Tesco, most of the basics I get from Aldi as they are much cheaper, Tesco has more choice obviously so get the rest of the stuff from there.
Worst thing about Aldi is remembering to take a £1 coin for the trolley ^_^

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
And for all you middle class aspirational sorts, Aldi Beerenauslese is top drawer
I'll keep an eye out for that when I next take Euromutti there. Though perhaps it would be wiser to keep an eye in, otherwise how would I find it?

Meanwhile, I seem to have been getting through quite a lot of their sachets (it was just Aldi but LiDL have just gone down the sachet route) of flavoured cous cous packets recently. Well worth sub-40p.

400bhp

Guru
Love the fact @gbb is picky about baked beans.:laugh:

The OH aint from "round ere". It took her a while to understand how we eat white beans in a plain tomato sauce, on toast. It was a proper WTF moment.:hungry:

400bhp

Guru
My shopping trips must seem very odd to the tillers in Aldi

Shopping trip #1 - various dried fruit and nut combinations. £33

Shopping trip #2 - 20 x assorted instant porridge. £11

Feckin awesome cyclists food.:hungry:

MarkF

Guru
This is the only thing that stops me using Aldi at the moment. When I've done it before, I wrote literally cannot cope with spending over half an hour moving 20 metres from a log jammed car park to a log jammed road!

Same in Shipley, it's a jammed car park (Aldi/McD's) leading out onto a major clogged A road, I cycle. ^_^

Is much of their stuff "own brand" or other cheaper brands? If it is own brand it's much better packaged and aesthetically pleasing than in other stores. Asda/Tesco and particularly Morrisons have such dispiriting own brand packaging, it screams at you that you are buying cheap, so you expect it to taste poo, so it does............

Aldi
294292.jpg

233220.jpg

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
My shopping trips must seem very odd to the tillers in Aldi

Shopping trip #1 - various dried fruit and nut combinations. £33

Shopping trip #2 - 20 x assorted instant porridge. £11

Feckin awesome cyclists food.:hungry:

Have you tried a cold porridge mix with that lot?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
My local Aldi has had a facelift and now has a few basket only tills. Which when people buy so much that they can only just fit their shopping on the normal belts is a god send. I go in there for milk, fruit and veg and cereal mainly. I can't imagine doing a "big shop" there as the aisles are too narrow and I like to pack as I go and not scoop everything back in to the trolley and repack once I have paid.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
and the cost of milk production is?

_61762865_milk304x470.gif

source:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18951422

that's all very well, but it's stretching credibility somewhat to really believe that farmers have been producing milk at a loss for years. Temporary supply / demand issues certainly, and supermarkets being utterly ruthless - yes. But farmers could very easily make more money by simply shooting all their cows and selling them for pie meat, thus making 11p per litre more than they were. Something not right here

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="Profpointy, post: 3383815, member: 20456". Something not right here[/QUOTE]Dairy farmers said that loudly years ago, but it's more of a whisper now there's so few dairy farmers left:sad:.

Top Bottom