Aldi Bike Mate - MPH Fix and small wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I held back sending my 2 x cheapo Aldi computers back and found an interesting post on BR that part answered the KMH and lack of wheel size input for MPH.

Also from my testing....

1. Completely ignore the MPH Wheel Size table - only input the value for KMH.

2. You can use MPH - just switch to it from the ODO screen - press and hold set for 2/3 seconds then change to MPH after the language and then click SET.

3. Small wheel sizes - e.g. kids bikes. The minimum number you can input is 1945 which is about 24". There is a trick though. For a smaller wheel, eg. 20" the value is 1590. Input it as 2590 first, save the settings. Goto the ODO screen, hold set for 2-3 seconds go through Language (press M1) then MPH/KMH (Press M1) then on the Wheel Size, press M2 to change the two to a one - do not press M1 (this will then default the next number to 9 - so 1900 is the minimum now). After changing to a 1, just press set. - the wheel size will be 1590 and suitable for 20". Works a treat.

So completely ignore the MPH wheel sizes - the size is input as the KMH and then when changed to MPH it is automatically adjusted for - blooming stupid instructions.

There were loads left in my local Aldi the other night.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nice find Fossy - I'll forward this to a pal of mine who bought one.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Didn't post till I was sure the fix worked - only managed to do 6.7 miles this morning in 38 mins :biggrin::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:, rather than 10.7miles....... so tested the theory on the way home as the guy on BR was still testing it worked. Can confirm the thing is reasonably accurate on mileage etc, as it matches mapmyride for my longer commute back !

Got it running well on my son's 20" - although he is grounded till weekend, having cycled off to the local park last night (before computer fitted) without telling us - he's only 7 and it's way beyond his boundaries... despite me catching him twice this weekend outside of where he is supposed to go)

Night Train

Maker of Things
I bought one of the Aldi computers today and have just set it up. Thanks to the sticky I can now work out what I am doing with it.

The only problem was getting the sensor less then 5mm from the magnet. I had to mount it on the brake yoke to get it close enough.
I have mounted it on the back wheel as the bike is on a cycle trainer at the moment but the front forks are even further from the wheel then the back.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

If you have them..... then why not.....

Just a bad software design on the input - I can confirm it works OK with 20" wheels as my son, now being 'ungrounded' is really pleased with it.....£5 bargain ! He loves anything techie....

Zoiders

Sorry old chap, it just struck me as the simple way to do it with only two steps needed to reach the needed result

I always seem to have more magnets than computers for some reason:wacko:

girofan

Nice to know I wasn't the only one caught out by the mph table, but I managed to sort it with idiomatic logic that I am blessed with. :tongue:
Did not think to post solution as I considered it was just stupid me! :biggrin:

Ed68

I first 'found' this forum when googling on how to change the Aldi Bike Mate to mph - and it appeared to work so all was looking good!

I have been concerned though that whilst I don't expect to be riding fast (mainly off road with a few pedestrians and hills) I thought I would be covering more ground than my computer tells me.

Just to test this I drove part of the route (the bit up until going off road) and whilst my bikemate says it is 0.4 miles my car states that it is 1.4 miles - slight difference there.

I didn't expect the readings to be 100% accurate as the table only had a setting for a 26" by 1.9 however my tyres are 26" by 1.95 but I didn't expect this much 'difference'.

Of course I've now 'lost' my tables so can anyone advise me what number I should set to get a close reading for 26" by 1.95 tyres.

Thanks in anticipation............

lonesome_rider

Are these the 32 function wireless with heart rate that are on eBay for £23?

Still not purchased one and I saw these on eBay and thought they looked OK for the price. But then I see mention of £5 on here, so maybe not so much of a nice price now.

RSV_Ecosse

lonesome_rider said:
Are these the 32 function wireless with heart rate that are on eBay for £23?

Still not purchased one and I saw these on eBay and thought they looked OK for the price. But then I see mention of £5 on here, so maybe not so much of a nice price now.

Got one of those £23 ones off eBay and its in the post to me now. I'll post back about quality, VFM etc, once it arrives.

Top Bottom