Always carry 2 inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We all know the weather today was bad, coming home, half way, with 8 miles to go ran over an over turned road sign which when I saw it, was too late.

Double puncture straight away, but luckily I carry 2 inners, so replaced them both, but what struck me was that if I had not had 2 I would have been shafted, because where I was there were no street lights, I would have stood no chance of fixing with my puncture kit as it was dark windy and raining.

Worst of all it was so cold that once I started on the rear wheel, I was shivering, and by the time I was pumping the tyres up I could not feel my fingers anymore.

Once finished and ready to go, it took me a good 3 minutes to get my gloves back on, using my teeth.

Luckily there was a great tail wind and so I was able to limp home with half tyre pressure.

So take care of there folks and remember to check your essential gear you need, especially inner tubes!

Top tip - you can use your front light to help find a puncture. :thumbsup:

And if it's raining, in the past I've simply rubbed the tube dry whilst leaning over it, and put a Park instant patch on it.

But you're right, if it's really cold & wet, best to have lots of spare inner tubes!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I always carry a lightweight fleece at this time of year and spare gloves. Surprising how quickly you can get into bother in this weather.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Hadn't considered the possibility of getting two flats at once. Hmm. Food for thought... Second spare tube now packed in saddlebag. Good advice.

Must also replenish my supply of Park Super Patches.

I do carry a Petzl Tikkina headtorch and a mini Maglite though. Very handy at this time of year.

d.

potsy

Rambler
Or you could get some M+ and not carry any spare tubes
thumbsup.png

For the record I carry 2,plus some of the Park glueless patches,the flat I got in August was temporarily fixed with one of them and is still holding firm 3 months later
biggrin.gif

decca234uk

Definetly two tubes for me and a puncture kit. good point about the dark though. I think I'll start carrying a mini torch in my kit. I remember having to use the light from my mobile once to find some glass in my tyre, took me ages.

leemo

Commuter
Can always run out of tubes, so should carry n+1!!

I carry one spare tube and parktool patches on my 8.5 miles commute. Once I had to resort to the patches because the valve on the spare tube was found to be broken, but only when I used it to fix a puncture.

Maybe I'll get caught out one day, but I reckon if you never run out of spare tubes you are hauling too many.

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
Well after inspection last night, rear tyre wall punctured, so the tyre is no good and both tubes cuts were bigger than the patches I have so a right mess, so onto emergency tyres this week until the new ones come from Wiggle.

But it could have been worse, at least the tail wind was so strong you could free wheel on the flat.

Top Bottom