Am I being selfish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
We are going away to France soon and my wife just told me that her daughter/ husband and their two children will be staying in our house for two days while we are away.
Personally, I don't like anybody staying in our house when we are not there. I get concerned that they will be reckless with the gas and electric and I will be footing the bill. When I stay with family, I treat their home the same as mine and do not abuse their utilities. I know my son in law stays up most of the night,falling asleep on the settee whilst the tv is on for example and I hate that. The kids leave lights on everywhere, the cooker stays on much longer than it should and I won't mention heating! Am I being selfish and too responsible and should think that over two days it is not going to be that bad?

screenman

Legendary Member
You could always invoice them the tenner it may cost you. I doubt if I could get the mrs away if she thought the kids were coming to stay, just incase they made it permanent.

Brandane

Legendary Member
They're family. How much damage can they do in 2 days? Can they really burn enough extra gas/leckie to make an issue out of it, and possibly cause a fall out with them? Your choice (and your wife's obviously) but if it was me I would let them get on with it and worry about the consequences if there are any, once home.

Tell 'em to forget it.

I assume the 'bad' grandson who owes you money is one of those who will stay.

Otherwise I agree with you.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
We are going away to France soon and my wife just told me that her daughter/ husband and their two children will be staying in our house for two days while we are away.
Personally, I don't like anybody staying in our house when we are not there. I get concerned that they will be reckless with the gas and electric and I will be footing the bill. When I stay with family, I treat their home the same as mine and do not abuse their utilities. I know my son in law stays up most of the night,falling asleep on the settee whilst the tv is on for example and I hate that. The kids leave lights on everywhere, the cooker stays on much longer than it should and I won't mention heating! Am I being selfish and too responsible and should think that over two days it is not going to be that bad?
Is this even real? Its two days, how much gas and electric can you use in two days? Really, if this is something that actually bothers you then you can probably rest assured that you have a wonderful life with absolutely nothing to worry about. I wish that's all I had to worry about, I really do.

Tin Pot

Guru
Not selfish at all, Victor.

Top Bottom