Am I in the right place?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone. I'm from out of town, way down under. I'm from Australia.

What am I doing here? Well I just love cycling. Cycling is cycling wherever you are in the world.

And I do have a link to the UK, my wife comes from Nottingham, so I suppose that makes me an honorary member of the British Isles. I do qualify for a British passport.

We did spend a month there last year, but cycling was out unfortunately as we booked a narrowboat for the whole time. Visiting relatives too.

I did ask my brother-in-law if I could borrow his bike and lash it to the top of a narrowboat so that I could cycle the tow paths along the side of the canals. Unfortunately he damaged it a couple of days beforehand so I never got to use it.

I couldn't have anyway, it rained almost every day and the tow paths were impassable.

I'm a road cyclist, Cannondale CAAD 10. I'm not that young, I took it up at 50 and loved it. That was a few years ago.

Looking forward to reading about cycling, happy to be here.
Peter

Kies

Welcome dude :smile:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Welcome O40C, while most of us on here are UK-based, there's no ''UK only'' policy here and you'll probably bump into a couple of Aussies on here. As you've experienced our weather you'll no doubt be more indulgent with us when we grumble about the the cold, the rain, the wind, etc, etc. Or you'll just get out and count yourself lucky!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Peter and :welcome:.
Hi everyone. I'm from out of town, way down under. I'm from Australia.
As already mentioned above, this may be a UK based site but we have members from all over.
it rained almost every day and the tow paths were impassable.
Sorry about that.:sad: Last summer was something like the 3rd worst in the last 300 years (the worst for some parts of the country) and not typical even for the UK.
Looking forward to reading about cycling, happy to be here.
Peter
:thumbsup:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:hello: T O 40 C and :welcome: to CycleChat ! :wahhey:

If you fancy an excuse to escape the Oz winter, come on over for a CC Forum ride :bicycle: sometime ... you would be made most welcome ! :cheers:

Australia being a fairly big place ;) , which part are you in ?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Being from Nottingham originally, welcome.

Powely

I'm from out of town, way down under. I'm from Australia.

Lucky you. You guys seem to have amazing cycle paths. I was in South Perth for 6 months a few years ago and it was there I took up cycling.

Maybe it'd be good if you could post some pics on here on your routes and any nice views.

Welcome by the way. :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
(I must be slow today - I just spent a couple of minutes on Google trying to work out what O40C stood for! :blush:)

Welcome to CC, Peter.

I'm not married to a Nottingham girl, but my niece is! :thumbsup: (Technically, they went through a civil ceremony for their civil partnership - the law here hasn't moved quickly enough for them to be legally 'married'.)

OP
OP
The Over 40 Cyclist
Hi everyone, thanks for the lovely welcome.

And yes Scoosh I'd love to come over for a ride, only problem is it's seriously expensive to get there, last year with 2 kids it cost an arm and a leg in airfares, so not something I can do all that often, though I'd love to. Someone I know over here emigrated from somewhere in the north of the country and he tells me of some beautiful rides, including from the East coast to the West.

And as you've noticed I didn't fare all that well with the weather last summer, if it had been a cycling holiday rather than a narrowboat holiday it might have put me off for ever. We couldn't believe that in 21 days of narrow boating we had rain every single day.

Mind you I'm used to the weather over there, I spent about 8 years in the UK and Europe working (hence a wife from Nottingham) so I have a good idea of what to expect.

Last summer was something like the 3rd worst in the last 300 years (the worst for some parts of the country) and not typical even for the UK.

And yes I had understood that even for UK weather last summer was extraordinary. So if I ever get over there again I'm hoping for slightly better luck.

Scoosh I'm from the south-east corner of the country. Originally born in Melbourne I escaped, after returning from overseas, purchased 40 acres of land, built a mudbrick house and am now a country convert. I'm about an hour East of Melbourne. Slightly north of Warragul if you have a map.

The riding around here is superb, on a one or 2 hour ride you might see one or 2 cars, great scenery, good roads. So I'm extremely happy to be out of the city never to go back. Mind you it can be a little hilly if you don't choose your route carefully. And for us older riders that can be a bit of a challenge. I've just come back from an hour out before work and the legs are complaining.

We have a very strong cycling club here, on a good Sunday, if you count everyone in the 3 or 4 different bunches, we'll get around 80 people out. It's getting more and more popular.

And ColinJ it's the same here. No legal marriage yet. It's very political, as I'm sure it is over there.

Things again for the welcome, settling in.

Top Bottom