Am I the only one who doesn't understand twitter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Twitter is a mystery to me.

It's often in the news, but my attempts to look at the newsworthy tweets have always ended in frustration.

I once tried to look at an exchange Alan Sugar was involved in, but could only see his tweets which wasn't very satisfactory.

Browsing twitter is a waste of time, I don't know what I'm browsing for.

The hashtag system baffles me, although that's not helped by the difficulty of finding how to type a hash on a MacBook - there's no hash key on my keyboard.

I'm not having a go at twitter and certainly not its users, clearly lots of people get a lot out of it.

But am I the only one who finds the mechanism of tweeting opaque?

I doubt it.

Twitter is a mystery to me.

It's often in the news, but my attempts to look at the newsworthy tweets have always ended in frustration.

I once tried to look at an exchange Alan Sugar was involved in, but could only see his tweets which wasn't very satisfactory.

Browsing twitter is a waste of time, I don't know what I'm browsing for.

The hashtag system baffles me, although that's not helped by the difficulty of finding how to type a hash on a MacBook - there's no hash key on my keyboard.

I'm not having a go at twitter and certainly not its users, clearly lots of people get a lot out of it.

But am I the only one who finds the mechanism of tweeting opaque?
Nope.

TVC

I use it to follow comedians and bands I would like to see, so I get news of when they are about. No point trying to use is as a communication medium, and don't ever think anyone is the slightest bit interested in what you think. Having said that, I've been answered and retweeted by some proper famous people, but only when I've commented on something they are really interested in promoting.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not really in to it, but its power was revealed to me once when I came back into Hebden Bridge from a bike ride and found a street cordoned off by the police. I checked Twitter and somebody had tweeted that a girl had been hit by a car about 20 minutes earlier. (The idiot driver had tried going the wrong way into a car park one-way system and had slammed his vehicle into reverse when he met another car coming out. He failed to notice teenagers crossing the road behind him ...)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Twitter is useful for finding out information and basically you only follow those who put out tweets you are interested in. For me local cyclists/cycling groups are good, and in winter it can be the first warning I get that there is black ice around. The local police and council feeds are useful for me. Just don't follow celebrities especially Twitter ones, and don't feel you have to follow anyone back just because they follow you!

It's also good for complaining.... Just use their company Twitter name in the tweet and it tends to get a quicker response than email/website complaints, even if they don't actually fix the problem, but sometimes they do!

I haven't really got the hashtag thing sorted in my head to be a really effective tweeter

perplexed

Guru
I had/have an account which I opened about 4 or 5 years ago to get updates on a course I was doing. I think I've made about 3 or 4 tweets in all that time, and I simply don't understand it. You read a feed or whatever, and it's just disjointed gobbledygook.

Very oddly (to me anyway) I seem to have got a random bloke in the USA who 'follows' me. Weird.

Top Bottom