Amanda from Camberley, Surrey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tekgrrl

Hi folks,

Amanda here from Surrey, UK. I am getting back into cycling after a very long break and have resurrected a Bike (an Optima Solano) that my company gave me in the mid noughties, but which I've never ridden.

So far I've replaced the wheels, the brakes, the controls, the bottom bracket and the crankset but I really need to replace the frameset and the rear mech. The existing frame is made out of steel which is way too heavy and the rear dropouts are way too close together for modern wheels. I really have no idea how to buy a frame so so wanted to discuss. Hopefully I can contribute more than just noobie questions to this community 😊

Thanks for having me.

-Amanda

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Amanda.

Welcome to CycleChat.

It's a bit a late now, maybe, but I think you'd have been better just buying a replacement bike rather than changing nearly everything on the old one!

I would suggest perhaps selling the various bits that you've got and either buying a new bike or a decent used one?

What kind of riding do you want to do? (Distance, terrain, speed, carrying things on the bike, and so on...)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Amanda and :welcome:

Sorry about that, it's a cheap mountain bike and rather heavy. But instead of trying to fix it it's best to get rid and find something better. Did you do the mods yourself or get a shop to do it? You could buy a frame and transfer the parts but cost would approach or exceed that of a new bike.
A mountain bike is always going to be heavier than a road bike or hybrid and if you're going to be using it on tarmac mostly one of those will be a better choice. If choosing a hybrid choose one with a rigid fork if you want light.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
welcome to CC
i will echo the above and say start the hunt for a replacement as it comes to a point where your just chucking good money at it for no good reason .
Ask yourslef what sort of surface you will be riding ? if your not going off road or just gravel paths a non suspension hybrid might be a better choice as cheap suspension units just add weight for little benefit .

OP
OP
T

tekgrrl

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I made all of the changes myself. more because I like making/fixing things and because I liked the idea of the project. It helped me learn so much about Bikes that I would not have got from watching videos.

I really need a bike that can handle roads and gravel at times, I don't expect to have to do steep climbs or ascents. Are any of you familiar with Swinley Forest? Is that more Gravel or more Mountain?

I worry a little about the quality of welds on modern aluminium bike frames which is why I liked the idea of replacing the frameset as I'd get more insight into the quality. At the same time building my own adds risk too. I think I'll take all of your advice and find a new bike that suits me.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i have ridden aluminium for over a decade with no issues, my current project bike is a 1998 giant alloy road bike that handled a 60 + mile ride easily and my main "winter" bike is a 2011 boardman that has done many many thousands of miles without fault .

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I made all of the changes myself. more because I like making/fixing things and because I liked the idea of the project. It helped me learn so much about Bikes that I would not have got from watching videos.
Wow, that's impressive. You probably know more about bike mechanics than most of us on here.
I shouldn't worry about the welds on aluminium frames, they've generally stood the test of time so you can buy with confidence. I have a 2007 Trek road bike still going strong.
Sounds like a hybrid would suit you well, or you could go with a gravel bike if you like drop bars. I've got a steel frame gravel bike which I like a lot but most now will be aluminium unless you're willing to go second hand or spend a lot more.

PXL_20231121_170954045.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom