Android phone keeps re-booting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before I make the inevitable phone call I thought I'd ask on here if there are some things I can look at to see if I can narrow the issue down and solve it, rather than just assuming it's a hardware fault.

I've already thinned down all my apps but have not done a factory reset. It seems to particularly occur after GPS usage but is not confined to that. For instance it re-booted at 6 this morning when it was sitting in a drawer charging.

I've read that issues with batteries and storage cards can cause phone re-boots but I am largely ignorant of diagnosing Android phones, so all suggestions most welcome.

It's an LG h440n

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Have you updated the operating system recently?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Have you updated the operating system recently?
Not recently. It did some updates a month or two back and there are no more available. I'm not sure when it started doing it now. It kinda of slowly seeped into my consciousness that it was.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
If you phone up, or take it into the shop, they are likely to advise/do a factory reset anyway... (I have experience here). So personally I'd do one of those, and see if it solves anything.

There are probably homunculi in there who have fallen asleep. A factory reset will wake them and spur them into action.

Lonestar

Veteran
Any stuff on Utube/Google?...Generally when I have a problem with phones or computers/Operating systems I search the web...You could include your phone model number in the search to find out if it's a common problem.Surely you aren't the first person who has encountered this problem.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Any stuff on Utube/Google?...Generally when I have a problem with phones or computers/Operating systems I search the web...You could include your phone model number in the search to find out if it's a common problem.Surely you aren't the first person who has encountered this problem.
Nothing specific.

I've gone for the factory reset after doing a quick backup of stuff, sms and photos mainly. It's a right pain really, re-entering all your passwords and re-syncing stuff and re-organising screens

rich p

ridiculous old lush
At least your electronic gadgets didn't let us down in the high Flintshire hills...

...oh, hang on ...

there is a suggestion on one or two forums that it's the gmail lock-screen widget that doesn't play nicely with that phone.

have you got that lockscreen widget?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

At least your electronic gadgets didn't let us down in the high Flintshire hills...

...oh, hang on ...
Feck orf

there is a suggestion on one or two forums that it's the gmail lock-screen widget that doesn't play nicely with that phone.

have you got that lockscreen widget?

See a sensible answer. I've no idea. I think the lockscreen is LG's own. I certainly haven't changed it.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

do you use the gmail app?
I do use Gmail. The lock screen is LG's knock code one, so I haven't changed it.

I've done a reset now, so I'll see what happens. I noticed that google maps is now doing a few things it never did before, so perhaps the reset has cured something as Google maps was one way of making it reboot itself, though not always.

Lonestar

Veteran
Strange.I've had problems with bootloop mainly because I've changed the operating system on the phone but nothing like this on all the phones I've owned.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Get an iPhone..... :evil:

^_^
Because when they die, at least they're unfixable by anyone except Apple? :laugh:

To the OP - wipe the cache if you can and search forums like xda-developers who might have a bit more clue with your LG than a bunch of random cyclists including me who killed a Samsung with a dodgy upgrade last week. :smile:

Top Bottom