Andy Schleck's legacy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hont

Guru
So the Schleck brother who didn't master changing gears on his bike, but did manage to evade the testers has retired. Given his almost total anonymity recently, its not really going to impact many people, except his brother maybe.

Nevertheless he is down in the records as a TdF winner, so how will everyone remember Schleck junior?

For me, he was an obvious doper, who couldn't go downhill, whined for a year about something that he was entirely the cause of ("Chaingate") and looked around for his brother all the time like a lost kitten looking for its mum. But I know a lot of cycle journos reckon he was one of the more approachable in the peloton. So was he a Luis Ocana (could have done so much more) - or Oscar Pereiro (got lucky)?

jarlrmai

Veteran
As a person who currently can't ride due to a knee injury, I have sympathy.

He won because a doper lost, if he's a non doper then that must be horrible, to know you won but not have the photos on the podium or memories of the victory.
If he doped then he's a lucky bastard.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
He was the co-author of a very memorable days racing in the 2011 tour when he put in a huge attack in the Alps and Cadel Evans displayed suitcases of courage in limiting his losses. I remember that day more for what Evans did.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
He doped but didn't get caught - it was clear that the UCI were targeting him, his brother and his Dad.
He didn't deserve the TdF title which probably would and should have gone to Wiggins.
None of which he isn't a nice guy away from the bike and murky world of pro sport. He looked a bit geeky and gormless but then I'm no oil painting!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well he was certainly no more the rightful winner than Contador in 2010... and it is notable how he became a shadow of his former self after he fell under the watchful eye of the anti-doping authorities. I just found him a bit boring.

Just to reprise my somewhat unappreciated gag on the transfer thread, how we will know he's retired?
I meant to like it, honestly. I get easily distracted.

U

User169

I gave it a 'pity' like DP:tongue:

The serious answer is who will Eurosport's cameras zoom in on being shelled out of the back of the peloton?

You're a gent Rich!! (at lrast I think thats what I mean)

Is it wrong to admit I feel a bit sorry for him, whilst acknowledging he was also a shoot rider once he stopped doping, allegedly. Still he gave us chaingate and as Dogtrousers said, the spectacle of Evans digging deep and limiting his losses for a well deserved Tour win.

Who will campaign for only uphills and no downhills now he's gone.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Is it wrong to admit I feel a bit sorry for him, whilst acknowledging he was also a **** rider once he stopped doping, allegedly. Still he gave us chaingate and as Dogtrousers said, the spectacle of Evans digging deep and limiting his losses for a well deserved Tour win.

Who will campaign for only uphills and no downhills now he's gone.
Pinot has let us down badly in that respect

Top Bottom