Another Garmin 520 question....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
I am very tempted to get a 520 but would like to know how clear/what size the figures are in the readouts for such things as speed, cadence, heart rate etc, as my eyesight is not as good as it used to be. Although I don't need to wear my glasses for cycling I do tend to need them for reading. I haven't actually seen a 520 in the flesh so to speak and my local bike shops don't have any in stock for me to look at. So before I go ordering one on-line I would be very grateful for any feedback.....

The good thing about the Garmin 520 is that you can customise the screen to show what you want. The less you have on the screen, the bigger it displays. You can also have multiple screens, so if you just want two sets of data per screen, you can set that up and easily switch between screens as you ride. I'm the same as you, I need glasses for reading and close up work, but I get away with being able to see 6 items on one screen.

Hope that helps but if you need anything else, please ask.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
The good thing about the Garmin 520 is that you can customise the screen to show what you want. The less you have on the screen, the bigger it displays. You can also have multiple screens, so if you just want two sets of data per screen, you can set that up and easily switch between screens as you ride. I'm the same as you, I need glasses for reading and close up work, but I get away with being able to se 6 items on one screen.

Hope that helps but if you need anything else, please ask.

Thanks for the reply - very useful and informative.

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Bit the bullet and picked a 520 bundle up yesterday from Evans (who price matched Wiggle thank you very much!). Tried it this morning and it is great; very pleased. Just need to work out how to use all the features!!

Great news, you won't be disappointed. I have to say that they don't use the most intuitive of interfaces, but you'll soon get used to it. The best thing is to sit in your garden and start a ride, then mess about with and you can always delete your test seeins later on. Have fun :smile:

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Just another quick question.... Do I need to be logged into Garmin Connect on my iPhone to upload a ride to Strava? Hope that makes sense!

Well, I use Android but I have found that the bluetooth connection doesn't work unless you have installed, and are logged into Garmin Connect.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You need garmin connect app installed and the edge paired in order to upload

Yes, I would think so, else it will not have a Strava account linked and therefore will not upload to it. Once you create a Garmin account, you link your Strava account to it (if memory serves).

Thanks for the replies - I've done all that so just need these winds to drop so I can get out and try it! :bicycle:

And if you have a look at the 'Connect-IQ' app store you'll find a few alternative layouts. Some of them offer a more graphical display of useful data items which may help with readability too.

Top Bottom