Another newbie with problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich L

Hi All

Just got my Bkool and joined the UK league to have a go at the tour of Britain rides. I am Rich L. However I am having a problem with the trainer. I rode Alp d'Huez and it all seemed fine - sensible readings for power and cadence etc. Then I tried one of the tour of Britain stages - Stage 5 and it is fine while I am climbing but goes weird on the descents / flats. By weird I mean it shows cadence wrong and power drops to 30W regardless of what I do. So I tried a velodrome session and something similar happens - OK so no downhills here but on the flat in say a keiren I build up speed and cadence and power all in synch then at some point it suddenly goes weird - power drops to 30W all the other riders sail past. I have tried connecting direct via LAN and tried the ANT dongle on a USB extension close to the back wheel but it makes no difference. Any one had similar issues or advice?

RickB

professional procrastinator
Hi Richard. Sorry I can't offer much assistance but there have been others having strange resistance issues which were rectified either by getting a replacement unit or else having bkool dial in and calibrate their trainers. I'm afraid you'll have to email bkool to see what they wish to do. :sad:

g00se

Veteran
Are you using the built-in cadence sensor - or a separate cadence sensor and magnet on the bike? The build in one can be a bit flakey as it 'guesses' the cadence from pulses in torque. If you're got a very smooth cadence, it can get the calculation very wrong. If you aren't using a 'real' cadence sensor, I would recommend trying one first. As it's on the 'descents', it makes sense to be this as you'll be smoother in your pedal action and less likely to be pedalling 'squares' as you would uphill.

Also, if you do have a real cadence sensor, it's worth checking that the app hasn't re-connected to the bkool built in one.

OP
OP
Rich L

Rich L

Thanks for the comments - I have emailed BKool and they are going to phone me next week. I do have a separate cadence sensor and will give that try to see if it helps. Will let you know the outcome of the call / test with cadence sensor

Top Bottom