Any Trekkies out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Over The Hill said:
I certainly seem to be heading in the wrong direction if you put it like that CP. Some research needs to be done! Not sure if Mrs OTH will agree.

Thanks all for info. Second episode "Charlie X" was aired the day before the moon landing (assuming they broadcast them in order).

Sure include some Females and maybe a little sex!

BUT DON'T go down the sleazy Archer route those novels were completeley crap, I would'nt even have used it for toilet paper.

Think more Steinbeck/Hemingway! Those men new how to put pen to paper in the most beautiful way!

Mr Phoebus

Over The Hill said:
Thanks all for info. Second episode "Charlie X" was aired the day before the moon landing (assuming they broadcast them in order).

"Charlie X" was the first pilot episode but it was screened a week after the second made pilot episode which was called "Where No Man Has Gone Before" which was screened on the 12th July.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Now that people are talking about it I really like Blake's 7 too. Anyway the book sounds like an interesting idea over the hill. I know some star trek was shown in colour before BBC1 & ITV launched in colour later in the year. I wasn't alive then but don't forget BBC2 was colour before BBC1 was as it was always 625 lines from launch and became colour earlier.

Mr Phoebus

The one thing I do remember about Blake's Seven is that every planet in the known universe is covered in fern forest. :smile:

OP
OP
Over The Hill
Mr Phoebus said:
"Charlie X" was the first pilot episode but it was screened a week after the second made pilot episode which was called "Where No Man Has Gone Before" which was screened on the 12th July.

You seem to know about this!

So did I get it right? (But for the wrong reason), was Charlie X the episode screened on 17th July 1969??

I found a US site with the episodes (in the right order) and that they were first screened on 12th July in the UK so I am only putting two and two together.

Also if it was on BBC1 it would be in black and white but if on BBC 2 it would be in colour (assuming you had a colour set). I will try to track down a newspaper with the tv listings in it to be sure of the episode and timings.

Was it Charlie x (the letter x) or Charlie x (the roman number 10)?

I hope it was this episode as it is about a sexually frustrated 17 year old infatuated about a woman which is the same as my central character. If so I may be able to tie it in to my story.

wafflycat

Dayvo said:
Just remembered Gerry Anderson's (the man behind the puppets - Captain Scarlett, Thunderbirds, Stingray etc.) 'UFO' series using 'real' people!
That was a very good series (at the time). Sci-fi, but a bit more 'down to earth'! :smile:

Don't forget Space 1999... with the IRL married couple of Martin Landau and Barbara Bain in the lead roles. Budget of 50p an episode for any aliens or other special effects..

In UFO - Ed Bishop playing Commander Straker - if a male Amercian role was required in UK TV, it always seemed to be Ed Bishop getting the role; him or Paul Maxwell (who was Canadian in real life?) Those bloody awful purple wigs for the female staff on Moonbase.. Those digusting string vests for the men on the submarines..

Mr Phoebus

Over The Hill said:

So did I get it right? (But for the wrong reason), was Charlie X the episode screened on 17th July 1969??

I found a US site with the episodes (in the right order) and that they were first screened on 12th July in the UK so I am only putting two and two together.

Also if it was on BBC1 it would be in black and white but if on BBC 2 it would be in colour (assuming you had a colour set). I will try to track down a newspaper with the tv listings in it to be sure of the episode and timings.

I hope it was this episode as it is about a sexually frustrated 17 year old infatuated about a woman which is the same as my central character. If so I may be able to tie it in to my story.

Not really no, but Google does.

I gleaned it in good faith from HERE

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember walking back from the swimming baths in Coventry one summer in the late 1960s. I headed down a terraced street with no front gardens and someone had their window open and a strange sci-fi programme on their TV. I stood fascinated and watched a couple of minutes of it. It was the second episode of the first series of Star Trek - 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'. The one where two of the crew develop telepathic powers and become a threat to the Enterprise. I watched every episode after that.

Blimey, I'm showing my age... :rolleyes:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Over The Hill said:

I knew it was the 12th of July as it has come up in conversation before a long time ago and has been asked in quizes. Star Trek was shown in colour before BBC1 changed over fully (they had a number of test transmissions but I think these were Sep, Oct 1969). I don't know any more specific to that (I wasn't alive for many years after). The other thing was I think some programmes were simulcast on BBC1 and BBC2 before BBC1 went to colour. The reason for this is that BBC2 was always 625 lines and BBC1 was 405 lines (as was ITV). There were virtually no sets in existence that could do both (there were some convertors) so everyone had their BBC1 and not BBC2. This is why there is an urban myth about BBC2 didn't launch until 1970 (because ITV and BBC1 switched over and people then went out and bought colour tv's if they were very lucky in 1970). So for your story star trek is probably in black and white, unless they had a rich uncle who had a colour set and you can find the tv guide for BBC2 in July 1969.

OP
OP
Over The Hill
I managed to track down a TV listing.
It was on BBC1 at 5.15 in the afternoon and they say the episode was "The naked time"

The moon landing really had very little coverage. That Saturday night BBC1 managed to only show one programme
"9.00 to 9.20 Appllo 11: Man on the Moon - live pictures of the moon surface and report."
There was nothing in the newspaper relating to the moon landing the next day!
Amazing contrast to the hours of reporting on nothing we get now.

Top Bottom