Any Twitchers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanTh

Collared dove - lovely to look at but second only to pheasants in the 'stupidity road sense' league

I get a few Collared Doves and also Woodpigeons in my garden. It is fun watching the CDs tackling the feeder and eventually succeeding. The WPs on the other hand can see the CDs having a good meal, and have a go themselves - without any success at all. Perhaps due to their extra weight and bulk.

I always think that the CDs are quite elegant birds.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I get a few Collared Doves and also Woodpigeons in my garden. It is fun watching the CDs tackling the feeder and eventually succeeding. The WPs on the other hand can see the CDs having a good meal, and have a go themselves - without any success at all. Perhaps due to their extra weight and bulk.

I always think that the CDs are quite elegant birds.

Coo - I couldn't agree more. Very elegant

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Can anyone tell me what bird this is, please?
It lives in a conifer, a few houses down, so it's never in binocular view!

gbb

Legendary Member
Despite a younger life in the couuntryside, a father that loved birdwatching, wildlife in general and long countryside walks, we never saw collared doves (although they seem more suited to urban environments). They're not a native species and only in the 1950s did they start breeding here...and so they're quite common now.
Same was true of Magpies, never ever saw one until maybe the mid 1980s. Now they abound everywhere.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Despite a younger life in the couuntryside, a father that loved birdwatching, wildlife in general and long countryside walks, we never saw collared doves (although they seem more suited to urban environments). They're not a native species and only in the 1950s did they start breeding here...and so they're quite common now.
Same was true of Magpies, never ever saw one until maybe the mid 1980s. Now they abound everywhere.

Red Kite are everywhere now,love seeing them.
So glad the reintroduction worked so successfully.

I'd never seen a kite until playing golf at Oundle in the early noughties

gbb

Legendary Member
Red Kite are everywhere now,love seeing them.
So glad the reintroduction worked so successfully.

I'd never seen a kite until playing golf at Oundle in the early noughties
I used to come into contact with a fella who was closely involved with their reintroduction at Harringworth woods. The success of the project is astounding. On my rides into Rutland In the Noughties I'd be excited to see one, then as the years progressed I remember stopping counting at 50 in one 50 mile ride in that area. Now they're everywhere you see them all over Peterborough and beyond, over the city, over the urban areas, everywhere.
Same in a way with buzzards, you'd not really see them in this area years ago, regular sight now.

Magpies

This spring, a beautiful pair of Greater Spotted Woodpeckers have take up residence in a willow at the bottom of my garden. I hear and see them frequently, highlights to my day!

But for the last couple of weeks, the male has got into the habit of perching on my TV antenna and hammering away at it, causing a loud boom/wailing noise inside the house, amplified via the chimney stack. The first time I heard it, I thought my central heating was about to blow up! To make matters worse .....

Quite loud at 5,30am :laugh: Who needs an alarm

... he's at it every morning now from about 0530 onwards!

Here he is in the photo attached - beautiful bird, but not my favourite alarm clock.

Attachments

• Greater spotted woodpecker.jpg
    Greater spotted woodpecker.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 4

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Top Bottom