Anybody bought a freestanding cooker lately??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I know this is not really a forum to ask about cookers^_^

But

Has anybody bought one recently and what do you think of it?? I`ve been looking for months, with the idea in mind that I want to replace mine (which is all electric) which is 32 years old. Every one I look at in the shops seems flimsy, tinny, and generally crap, and then all the ones online seem to have conflicting reviews, so I`m no better off. Can anybody help? Any recommendations would be very, very gratefully received!!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
You might be better off scouring the second hand shops for a nice older, and sturdier model. That's what we did and got an Indesit somethingorother for about £30

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have two Elba cookers, gas hob, electric oven.

A single oven 90cm, like this one, in my kitchen.
156518412.jpg

And a twin oven 90cm, like this one, in the granny flat kitchen.
153535457.jpg

(random internet images)

Both are fine and have been working well for best part of 10 years with no failures or problems.
Only real snag is the single oven takes a while to heat up due to is size.

Stainless steel can be a pain to keep clean without scratches though.

Don't know if any of that helps though.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I like the second hand idea, it is such a shame that you can`t buy something of reasonable quality brand new, I have always stuck to mine which is built like a battleship, made by Belling and would probably do another 30 years easily, it just doesn`t suit a brand new kitchen. Paul, if you get anywhere let me know, I need exactly the same as you:thumbsup:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I know this is not really a forum to ask about cookers^_^

But

Has anybody bought one recently and what do you think of it?? I`ve been looking for months, with the idea in mind that I want to replace mine (which is all electric) which is 32 years old. Every one I look at in the shops seems flimsy, tinny, and generally crap, and then all the ones online seem to have conflicting reviews, so I`m no better off. Can anybody help? Any recommendations would be very, very gratefully received!!
How big's the space it needs to fit in?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 2153502, member: 45"]Anyone on here got a Which? subscription and could have a look for us?[/quote]
'Fraid so! I'll have a look and report back tomorrow if they have done an online review recently.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

View:

• Which? score: 83%
  • Price: £1,064.00
  • Launch date: Jul 2011
  • Type: Electric induction
  • Find lowest price
AEG - 49332I-MN

This freestanding electric cooker with a double oven from AEG offers plenty of choice when it comes to cooking methods, and benefits from the speed and convenience of an induction hob. The 49332I-MN is fully programmable too - but does it cook quickly and evenly? We sent this electric induction cooker to the test lab to find out.
The versatile double ovens grill and bake very evenly, and the induction hob is quick and easy to control. The 49332I-MN has plenty of useful features and is easy to clean, so it really could make your life easier in the kitchen.
Read more about AEG 49332I-MN

• Which? score: 79%
  • Price: £520.00
  • Launch date: May 2010
  • Type: Electric
  • Find lowest price
Zanussi - ZCV661MWC

The freestanding Zanussi ZCV661MWC electric cooker has two ovens and self-cleaning oven wall linings. We've looked at how well the hob, grill and ovens of this electric cooker work to see whether it makes the grade as a Best Buy.
The ZCV661MWC was hugely impressive in our tests - the oven, grill and hob are all excellent and it's easy to use and keep clean.
Read more about Zanussi ZCV661MWC

• Which? score: 78%
  • Price: £430.00
  • Launch date: Jul 2010
  • Type: Dual-fuel
  • Find lowest price
Hotpoint - HUD61G Ultima

The freestanding Hotpoint Ultima HUD61G dual-fuel cooker with double oven combines a gas hob with an electric oven. We took a close look at it in our labs to check whether this dual-fuel cooker grills and bakes as well as our electric and gas Best Buys.
The HUD61G Best Buy combines the best of both worlds - a quick-to-heat and easy-to-control gas hob, with an accurate and even-heating oven.
Read more about Hotpoint HUD61G Ultima

• Which? score: 76%
  • Price: £533.00
  • Launch date: Feb 2007
  • Find lowest price
Cannon - C60DHSF Harrogate

The freestanding Cannon C60DHSF Harrogate dual-fuel cooker with double oven combines a gas hob with an electric oven. We took a closer look at this dual-fuel cooker to see whether it cooked and grilled as well as our electric and gas Best Buys.
The C60DHSF Best Buy combines the best of both worlds - a quick-to-heat and easy-to-control gas hob with accurate and even-heating electric ovens.
Read more about Cannon C60DHSF Harrogate

• Find lowest price
Cannon - C60DHWF Harrogate

The freestanding Cannon C60DHWF Harrogate dual-fuel cooker with double oven combines a gas hob with an electric oven. We took a closer look at this dual-fuel cooker to see whether it cooked and grilled as well as our electric and gas Best Buys.
The C60DHWF Best Buy combines the best of both worlds - a quick-to-heat and easy-to-control gas hob with accurate and even-heating electric ovens.
Read more about Cannon C60DHWF Harrogate

• Find lowest price
Cannon - C60DHKF Harrogate

The freestanding Cannon C60DHKF Harrogate dual-fuel cooker with double oven combines a gas hob with an electric oven. We took a closer look at this dual-fuel cooker to see whether it cooked and grilled as well as our electric and gas Best Buys.
The C60DHKF Best Buy combines the best of both worlds - a quick-to-heat and easy-to-control gas hob with accurate and even-heating electric ovens.
Read more about Cannon C60DHKF Harrogate

• Which? score: 71%
  • Price: £450.00
  • Launch date: May 2007
  • Find lowest price
Indesit - KD6C35X

The freestanding Indesit KD6C35X electric cooker comes with a double oven and an easy-to-clean ceramic hob that measures 60cm across, so there's plenty of room on its four rings for all your pots and pans. We put this electric cooker through its paces in our lab tests to see how well it works.
You'll find the grill in the top-oven compartment and it spreads heat well across the grill pan. This means that food browns evenly without burning.
Read more about Indesit KD6C35X

• Price: £332.00
  • Launch date: May 2007
  • Find lowest price
Indesit - KD6C35W

The freestanding Indesit KD6C35W electric cooker comes with a double oven and an easy-to-clean ceramic hob that measures 60cm across, so there's plenty of room on its four rings for all your pots and pans. We put this electric cooker through its paces in our lab tests to see how well it works.
You'll find the grill in the top-oven compartment and it spreads heat well across the grill pan. This means that food browns evenly without burning.
Read more about Indesit KD6C35W

• Price: £729.00
  • Launch date: Mar 2009
  • Find lowest price
Zanussi - ZKT6050X

The freestanding Zanussi ZKT6050X electric cooker comes with two ovens and a ceramic hob. The top oven is heated conventionally with top and bottom heat and this is where you'll find the grill, while the main oven has a fan. But how well does it all work? We put this electric cooker to the test to find out.
This impressive Zanussi ZKT6050X has an effective oven and hob, is easy to use and comes with some handy features including a fully-programmable main oven.
Read more about Zanussi ZKT6050X

• Price: £350.00
  • Launch date: Jul 2006
  • Find lowest price
Indesit - KD6C35M

The freestanding Indesit KD6C35M electric cooker comes with a double oven and an easy-to-clean ceramic hob that measures 60cm across, so there's plenty of room on its four rings for all your pots and pans. We put this electric cooker through its paces in our lab tests to see how well it works.
Read more about Indesit KD6C35M

• Price: £394.00
  • Launch date: Jul 2006
  • Find lowest price
Indesit - KD6C35A

The freestanding Indesit KD6C35A electric cooker comes with a double oven and an easy-to-clean ceramic hob that measures 60cm across, so there's plenty of room on its four rings for all your pots and pans. We put this electric cooker through its paces in our lab tests to see how well it works.
Read more about Indesit KD6C35A

• Which? score: 69%
  • Price: £965.00
  • Launch date: Mar 2010
  • Find lowest price
AEG Electrolux - Competence D98000VFM

The freestanding AEG Electrolux Competence D98000VFM electric cooker has a double oven and ceramic hob, as well as touch-panel controls, and the hob has flexible rings with extra elements for larger pots and pans. But does this electric cooker qualify as a Best Buy?
AEG-Electrolux's stylish electric Best Buy has a variety of helpful features to match its excellent cooking performance.
Read more about AEG Electrolux Competence D98000VFM

• Which? score: 69%
  • Price: £637.00
  • Launch date: Dec 2009
  • Type: Electric induction
  • Find lowest price
Belling - FSE60i

The freestanding Belling FSE 60i electric induction cooker breaks new ground with its induction hob. We were keen to see how well the hob, oven and grill would fare, so we put this electric induction cooker through its paces in our expert tests.
The innovative FSE 60i cooker delivers great all-round cooking, includes a super-fast heating induction hob, and thoroughly deserves its Best Buy status.
Read more about Belling FSE60i

• Which? score: 68%
  • Price: £330.00
  • Launch date: May 2006
  • Find lowest price
Indesit - KD3C1MG

The freestanding Indesit KD3C1MG electric cooker consists of a conventional oven and a separate grill compartment, and is fitted with an interior light in the main oven so you can keep an eye on your food as it cooks. We put this electric cooker to the test to see how well it works.
The Best Buy Indesit KD3C1MG electric cooker performs well in our tests; the oven benefits from accurate temperature control and the grill heats well over a large surface area. The oven heats evenly and the temperature controls are very accurate.
Read more about Indesit KD3C1MG

• Price: £282.00
  • Launch date: May 2006
  • Find lowest price
Indesit - KD3C1AG

The freestanding Indesit KD3C1AG electric cooker consists of a conventional oven and a separate grill compartment, and is fitted with an interior light in the main oven so you can keep an eye on your food as it cooks. We put this electric cooker to the test to see how well it works.
The Best Buy Indesit KD3C1AG electric cooker performs well in our tests; the oven benefits from accurate temperature control and the grill heats well over a large surface area. The oven heats evenly and the temperature controls are very accurate.
Read more about Indesit KD3C1AG

• Price: £288.00
  • Launch date: May 2010
  • Type: Gas
  • Find lowest price
Zanussi - ZCG561FW

The freestanding Zanussi ZCG561FW gas cooker comes with a relatively snug oven, a separate grill compartment and at less than £300, it is reasonably priced. But is it worthy of Best Buy status? We put this gas cooker through its paces in a series of tests to see how well it performed.
This ZCG561FW isn't feature-packed, but it impressed us enough in our tests that we awarded it Best Buy status.
Read more about Zanussi ZCG561FW

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sorry for the "dogs breakfast" cut and paste!

Oldspice

Electrical cookers lose power as they get older, so they will require more electric to do the same job.

subaqua

What’s the point
Electrical cookers lose power as they get older, so they will require more electric to do the same job.
where do they lose it to? does it leak out? can i catch it in a bucket ? :whistle:

Old spice is right though. the elements become less efficient so will take longer to heat up therefore using slightly more electricity not a lot though the good thing though is that an old freestanding cooker can have its elements replaced really easily for almost perpetuity. my dads Creda Cavalier was bought when they moved in on Cup final day 1971, has had numerous elements, door seals and the glass door inside the main oven door ( they shatter quite spectacularly when they do finally go) thermostats etc and still goes strong and hasn't fallen apart yet. the timer device has died but him and mum never used that anyway so i have bypassed that for them .

for new cookers- MIL had an AEG with Halogen hob for 27 Years till she decided it was new kitchen time and she wanted a eye level oven as she can't bend over anymore. I wanted the cooker as it would have carried on for another 27 Years !!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
We had a Smeg cooker. It was complete pants. And now we have one of John Lewis' own brand. And that's pants as well. So......I'm following this with interest.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

We had a Smeg cooker. It was complete pants. And now we have one of John Lewis' own brand. And that's pants as well. So......I'm following this with interest.
They seem to be utter crap, and I nearly bought one, not cheap either. One make I did consider, who I know I could trust is Bosch, but all of theirs have a single oven, that`s pretty poor for a 600mm cooker, and I like two ovens, very handy for certain meals/ a lot of people etc

Top Bottom