Anybody know about 'shrooms?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Not the Feed Your Head varieties, but the foodie types. I went up to Scotland a year ago with some friends and we spent a day foraging for wild mushrooms around the forest logging roads. It was great fun seeking them out, and they tasted delicious at suppertime. Fortunately, one of the crew knew a bit about identifying the ones that don't give you liver or kidney failure. I would love to do some more hunting. Does anybody know of a good, clear reference book that can prevent me from poisoning myself? All advice welcome.

Thanks.

Julia9054

Guru
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mushrooms-...UTF8&qid=1472077873&sr=8-2&keywords=Mushrooms
Husband went through a bit of a phase a few years ago. Used this book. Nobody died but I was never totally comfortable with it!

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got some puffer fish in the freezer, if you are interested.
Having been rendered virtually immortal due to my wise use of a cycle helmet, I feel I can afford to take a few risks.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been rootling around on the internet to find out about 'shroom poisoning. There are a few grim tales, but actually it appears you are extremely unlikely to come a cropper in the UK.
Sad statistical fact: that's as likely to be because we rarely forage as because British fungi aren't dangerous. You need a probability conditional on having tried wild mushrooms.

subaqua

What’s the point
Not the Feed Your Head varieties, but the foodie types. I went up to Scotland a year ago with some friends and we spent a day foraging for wild mushrooms around the forest logging roads. It was great fun seeking them out, and they tasted delicious at suppertime. Fortunately, one of the crew knew a bit about identifying the ones that don't give you liver or kidney failure. I would love to do some more hunting. Does anybody know of a good, clear reference book that can prevent me from poisoning myself? All advice welcome.

Thanks.
No. I have several books. You find a page of edible ones that look easy to identify. You turn the page to find identical ones with skulls and crossbones next to them (bad for you as opposed to lethal in most cases). Not worth the risk!

Top Bottom