England : Cambridgeshire Anyone fancy a ride with a fat knacker in Peterborough this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm watching Blackadder the Third right now, so you can imagine what this thread title does for me.

:smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry, bank holiday weekends are pretty full of rides easier to get to. Could you hop on a train to Ely (or Brandon if there's one at the right time - don't, the ride from Brandon is awful because of the A11 "upgrade" that broke cycle routes) and ride to the Mildenhall rally?

Last edited:

Lisat

I'm in Peterborough this weekend
In fact I have been getting lost around here all week, unfortunately family duties on Sat/sun and back to south coast Monday. There is some nice cycling round here and will bring the bike up again even though it does mean I have to pedal across London.

I'm in Peterborough this weekend
In fact I have been getting lost around here all week, unfortunately family duties on Sat/sun and back to south coast Monday. There is some nice cycling round here and will bring the bike up again even though it does mean I have to pedal across London.
I find it difficult to understand why anyone would want to cycle around Peterborough when Rutland is only 15 miles to the NW as the crow flies with beautiful cycling country and very little traffic. I know everyone is different and there are even those who enjoy cycling around London, but surely mainly traffic free country lanes with no potholes, polite drivers and great cafe stops must be a tiny bit inviting?

mjr

I find it difficult to understand why anyone would want to cycle around Peterborough when Rutland is only 15 miles to the NW as the crow flies with beautiful cycling country and very little traffic. I know everyone is different and there are even those who enjoy cycling around London, but surely mainly traffic free country lanes with no potholes, polite drivers and great cafe stops must be a tiny bit inviting?
Well, Peterborough has some lanes/tracks with no motorists and I expect there are some good cafe stops if you know where they are (I've not found them yet). Rutland may be only 15 miles as the crow flies, but it's over 20 by road and those are roads which are abused as rat-runs into the back of Bretton and roads full of parked cars either side of Stamford centre. That's not really much fun unless you're into extreme cycling, is it, honestly?

Well, Peterborough has some lanes/tracks with no motorists and I expect there are some good cafe stops if you know where they are (I've not found them yet). Rutland may be only 15 miles as the crow flies, but it's over 20 by road and those are roads which are abused as rat-runs into the back of Bretton and roads full of parked cars either side of Stamford centre. That's not really much fun unless you're into extreme cycling, is it, honestly?
There are quiet lanes within 10 miles to the west of Peterborough, I have never cycled through the centre of Stamford and unlikely to ever do so, why would I?

mjr

There are quiet lanes within 10 miles to the west of Peterborough, I have never cycled through the centre of Stamford and unlikely to ever do so, why would I?
Because it's the shortest route to Rutland? 10 miles to the west of Peterborough is the glorious "rose of the shires" Northamptonshire, not Rutland.
Have you met TF?
NAFAIK yet.

Lisat

Well I went out to market Deeping and Stamford the other day, it was getting back through Peterborough that is the problem. All the roads look the same and the cycle ways are badly signed.

Today I went through the fens to Long Sutton. Tomorrow is the big cycle out from Oundle to Market Harborough round to Cambridge then Oundle. Phew! I think that will take in Rutland which is lovely.

Tim Hall

Perhaps the lack of a McDonalds is putting them off?

Top Bottom