anyone got avan nik amazon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dawesboz

Hi.
I'm about to buy one and want to know the good and the bad.
(and how much did you pay??)

Dawezboz. (about to become amazonboz!)

PapaZita

Guru
Yes, I've got one. I think it's great. I've got the standard Amazon, rather than the new cross specific version, and I've set it up with Ultegra compact gears and Avid BB7 disc brakes on a Winwood fork.

I think if I had to keep only one bike it would probably be the Amazon. It's so versatile. Put a rack on it for light touring, mudguards for winter road rides, chunky tyres for cross, or skinny slicks for a fast club run.

The only downsides - it's a bit heavy, especially with the discs and hefty forks. Mine, in tonight's config. with mudguards, road tyres, and lights, is 23.5 lbs. Also, I had trouble fitting a 160mm disc at the back and had to change down to 140mm. Works fine now though, and only a minor niggle.

Can't remember quite what I paid. I got the frame and fork at Fat Birds, and they were great as always, but I think I remember the price wasn't quite as far below list price as I'd hoped it might be. Still, can't complain, it's turned out to be a great value bike.

PZ.

OP
OP
D

dawesboz

Thanks for the reply.
I need to check the weight of my dawes to see the potential difference.
The dealer i'm going to is wheel craft, the guy there was reccommending the van nik yukon, but although i'd be getting a lighter, faster ride most of the time, i just can't see past a bike this versatile.

cheers!

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
dawesboz said:
Thanks for the reply.
I need to check the weight of my dawes to see the potential difference.
The dealer i'm going to is wheel craft, the guy there was reccommending the van nik yukon, but although i'd be getting a lighter, faster ride most of the time, i just can't see past a bike this versatile.

cheers!

For fast day rides and lightweight touring the 'Yukon' is perfect, if you want something more robust to take heavier loads that can take 700 x 32c tyres then the 'Amazon' is probably what most would chose, note the carbon forks do not have low rider bosses, where as the alloy version do.

The the 'Amazon' will feel more familiar to the Dawes Horizon/Galaxy than the Yukon. I reviewed my own Yukon (click for link) that may be of interest, although if you still want to use your new machine for heavy loaded camping then Amazon is really the more sensible choice.

Paul_Smith

Top Bottom