Anyone play music with a bow ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm thinking about picking up my double bass again and learning how to play it with a bow .
I've always used it as a slap bass so i'm wondering if there are any tips ?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm thinking about picking up my double bass again and learning how to play it with a bow .
I've always used it as a slap bass so i'm wondering if there are any tips ?
Maybe go for a German style bow rather than French. Because it needs a fair amount of maintained control and strength the German sideways facing hand grip may be advisable rather than the downward facing grip of the French style. Get heavy duty double bass rosin for the bow - it's more like glue than the powdery rosin used on lesser stringed instruments.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I use a German carbon fibre bow from Thomann.de on my EUB. Playing arco makes for an extra palette of sound.

My daughter plays Cello, but I keep suggesting Double Bas

A couple of friends play 'slap' Bass, Neville's in a rockabilly band. Sandra, I've not seen for quite a few years

Nev
10565036_733299720092215_2927289895818132789_n.jpg

Joanne (my wife) & Sandra - circa 1986
Joanne. Sandra Petch. 1.jpg

Cue Lee Rocker

And, Brian Setzer Orchestra (from about 5:20)

Restless

Emma Goss

This is good!!!

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Well here's a blast from my past ! Just looked on you tube and was very surprised to find it :eek:

I think there where ten bands on that album cover shown and i played bass for seven of them but no one will ever know :laugh:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
hang out with the drummer and that always gets messy.

So true :laugh:

hope yu own an estate car and are prepared to run "Dad's Taxi's" when she starts getting gigs, else she will have to hang out with the drummer and that always gets messy.

Already do that, but Cello lessons are at School
Wife, or I, also have to take her to Piano lessons, singing lessons, & the local Cathedral Choir (now that's 3 times a week; Wednesday, Friday & Sunday)

And, yes, I have an Octavia estate, Cello will fit in diagonally, with rear seats up

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Already do that, but Cello lessons are at School
Wife, or I, also have to take her to Piano lessons, singing lessons, & the local Cathedral Choir (now that's 3 times a week; Wednesday, Friday & Sunday)

And, yes, I have an Octavia estate, Cello will fit in diagonally, with rear seats up
Good on you ! music is a massive thing to have in your life . Being able to play it is special .

Top Bottom