Anyone see Reggie Perrin last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Delighted by how good it was! You have these fond memories, and sometimes 'you can't go back', as they say. I watched, eg, an episode of Yes Minister recently, which I'd loved first time round, and was a bit sad to see how badly it had aged - all felt very clunky and samey and predictable. But Reggie was as good as I remembered it. Great! Super!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I didn't get where i am today by....

Davidc

Guru
No, but have been watching the repeats of Jonathan Creek on Drama. Agree that some TV (and film) ages better than others.

The really depressing bit is realising that I've aged just as much as the actors have since the programmes were made!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I hadn't seen this for years and was expecting it to not stand the test of time. However, it had me laughing out loud on several occasions, including the classic line from the doc after he listed all Reggie's symptoms.

Without wanting to over-analyse too much, I think much was down to, with a good script, the quality of the acting and how it ranged from the subtle to slapstick. The brief look of shock as Reggie finally hooked his brolly on the stand was a gem.

Reactions: TVC

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
1976, It is 39 years old, jings, and I still laugh out loud at plenty of bits. The massively disillusioned middle manager humour hits home more now that when I was a kid and laughed more at the farting chairs and mental image cutaways.

Leonard Rossiter was a superb actor who could convey a whole scene in a twitched eyebrow and flared nostril. Rising Damp still pops up regularly on the ITV freeview channels and is still witty & funny.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
[QUOTE 3879919, member: 259"]I missed it - damn!

By the way, there is a three parter series on the life and career of David Nobbs, the creator of Reggie Perrin, on Radio 4 extra, starting tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Cheers for the heads up, no doubt RP will be on iplayer, worth catching.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
got the DVD box set of it... don't you know :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
The episode where Reggie and Joan finally came close to consummating their love was one of the most tragic comedies ever. Leonard Rossiter conveyed desperation perfectly as the situation fell apart.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It was a few decades ago that I read the books, so I might well be wrong, but I seem to recall that Reggie's daughter had an, errm, liaison with Geoffrey Palmer. Not sure that was in the TV series.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The episode where Reggie and Joan finally came close to consummating their love was one of the most tragic comedies ever. Leonard Rossiter conveyed desperation perfectly as the situation fell apart.
I googled my own answer to my post and Uncle Jimmy did indeed have an incestuous relationship with Linda in the book.
I also saw this passage ...

The door opened and Joan Greengross, Reggie's former secretary entered. She was dressed in red, as if she knew that, in Elizabeth's eyes, she had been a scarlet woman. Her hair was auburn now, but her legs still went on forever, and there wasn't a spare ounce of flesh on her. At 53 she remained an attractive woman and she knew it. She hadn't slept with Reggie often but it hadn't been for the want of trying.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
where's fab foodie?
On holiday .....

image.jpg

Top Bottom