are 25mm tyres deeper than 23mm as well as wider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have seen some Conti 25mm tyres on Wiggle that are a bargain. Currently I have Conti 23mm. The 25mm are presumably wider by 2mm. How much deeper will they be? I have close fitting mudguards which may be a problem

MikeW-71

Veteran
They are about the same deeper, enough to cause rubbing on something like Crud Roadracer guards.

Tim Hall

Bike tyres are, to a first approximation, circular in cross section. So yes, a 25mm tyre is deeper as well as wider. (Big mtb tyres may get a bit squarer).

Citius

The word we are all looking for is 'volume' - 25s are approximately 10% higher volume tyres than 23s and this will show around the tyre's entire profile - ie from both the top and the side.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bike tyres are, to a first approximation, circular in cross section. So yes, a 25mm tyre is deeper as well as wider. (Big mtb tyres may get a bit squarer).
They're a circle missing a segment at smallish size slicks. The rim width stays the same, so a wider tyre isn't exactly the same width deeper but it's close. I think MTB tyres get squarer externally by varying the rubber and remain circular internally.

bikeman66

I have seen some Conti 25mm tyres on Wiggle that are a bargain. Currently I have Conti 23mm. The 25mm are presumably wider by 2mm. How much deeper will they be? I have close fitting mudguards which may be a problem
So are you going for 25's because the 23's went out of stock? I had a pair of 23's in my basket and by the time I got to the checkout they were out of stock! Boooo.

zacklaws

Guru
I know from experience, Continental 4000GP S 25mm are deeper than the same make and brand in 23mm, I got a stone jammed between the front fork and the tyre which stopped me dead and nearly put me over the bars. I could only remove it by turning the wheel backwards as it was jammed in solid. If I recall the same happened to Chris Froome this year in the TDF and had to stop to clear it, and then Nibali attacked him and shot off, maybe he was on 25mm's too that day.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
So are you going for 25's because the 23's went out of stock? I had a pair of 23's in my basket and by the time I got to the checkout they were out of stock! Boooo.
I am about to sell the bike and want to put decent brand tyres on so they are new. If mudguards don't still work I will remove them. So would have preferred 23mm as I know they work, but I think 25mm will be ok. If they rub I will simply sell without the guards or put them in as an extra and explain that they will work with 23mm only.

zacklaws

Guru
Or maybe the stone was larger..

Left myself open to that one. Never really posted everything in my original posting, but when I first fitted the 25mm tyres on my roadbike, first things I noticed was lack of clearance on the chain stays and not much clearance under the front brake and forks, I knew that it would be ride over if I badly buckled at the back but never gave it much thought at the front what could happen, till that stone jammed itself in the gap.

Top Bottom