Are there any Gas leak detectors for domestic use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The Fire Brigade strongly recommend smoke detectors, and the Gas Board strongly recommend carbon monoxide detectors in houses. Is there a reliable equivalent for gas leaks?

I know that something is added to natural gas so that it smells. If people's sense of smell has diminished with age, could a detector be fitted? I am asking this because, very long story short, my mother could not smell the gas that the National Grid gas man released from the gas pipe, so that he could be sure there were no gas leaks. If there was a leak, she would be unaware of it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Could she not taste the gas either?

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Aware there was one, but didn't come cheap.
I'll have a gander and let you know.

According to the National Grid Gas Man, they are usually only installed in large buildings with a separate boiler room. He was not aware of any for domestic properties.

The reviews of the ones on Amazon do not inspire my with any confidence.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There are plenty on the market and they aren't expensive. As colin said above, Amazon sell them. I have one. They are as easy to use as smoke alarms.

Amazon isn't the only place to buy them. There are reputable places on the internet. Or you can phone your local fire brigade, and ask them what they would recommend

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I've got one of these in my boiler cupboard, I check it monthly.

£19.99 from Screwfix

62243_P.jpg

Top Bottom