Are there any Gas leak detectors for domestic use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Royal Society for Bottom Parping innit.

Erm that's the RSBP!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Have you not heard of petit fours?
Probably unwise of me to bring up Clarkson's eating of an ortolan bunting?
clarkson+eating.jpg

simon.r

Person
That is more like what I was hoping to find, thank you.

Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs and I can't suggest any better options, but be aware that you're only sampling at one very specific point with a fixed alarm. I'd think carefully about where to put it and keep in mind that natural gas is lighter than air.

The linked alarm is calibrated to go off at 0.5% gas in air.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
They're both on ignore as they're complete idiots.

They are not complete idiots, some parts of both of them are missing. :giggle:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs and I can't suggest any better options, but be aware that you're only sampling at one very specific point with a fixed alarm. I'd think carefully about where to put it and keep in mind that natural gas is lighter than air.

The linked alarm is calibrated to go off at 0.5% gas in air.

The first enquiry was to find if such a thing existed, as even the gas man was not sure.

Then I would be considering if it is suitable. According to the Honeywell website, it could be useful where people cannot smell the odour of natural gas. I would, as you suggest take expert advice as to where best to locate it, if it is considered appropriate.

simon.r

Person
The first enquiry was to find if such a thing existed, as even the gas man was not sure.

Then I would be considering if it is suitable. According to the Honeywell website, it could be useful where people cannot smell the odour of natural gas. I would, as you suggest take expert advice as to where best to locate it, if it is considered appropriate.

I am concerned about only sampling at one point if this alarm is being used as the sole means of detecting gas. I've spent many hours walking around, inside and outside properties, with professional gas detecting equipment and it's not unusual for gas concentrations to vary massively within a small distance. It's also fairly common for equipment to detect other gasses* and give false readings.

I'm really not trying to persuade you one way of the other, it does make sense for someone with an impaired sense of smell, and as I say I can't think of a better solution, but I'd be a bit concerned about it giving a false sense of security.

*Amongst other things I've been called to petrol in drains and decomposing chicken carcasses!

Top Bottom