Are you a bike snob?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Belinda

I've just bought a new road bike under duress. Since 1985 when I bought it (second hand) I've been riding an old Raleigh Ace with flat bars. Loved it. Put on a sixth gear at some point to deal with hilly Wales. Loved it more. However, I did notice that the many lycra-clad riders on road bikes never nodded or returned my greeting while out for a spin. I'm a motorcyclist too, and just figured that cyclists aren't as friendly as bikers. Shame.

Then my boyfriend invited me along for a 15 mile ride with him on his vintage road racer (Moser). Suddenly I knew I had to have a new bike if I was going to a) keep up b) have children.

I fancied a hybrid/flat bar road bike, given most of my riding is in small lanes and B roads and I like an upright position, but he half-joked to me that if I didn't get drop handlebars no one would EVER say hello to me! Sadly/Hilariously, this has proved to be true! From the very first time I went out on my new bike, other cyclists nodded and greeted me.

WTF?? What's that all about? Is it snobbery? We're all pedalling up the same hills, after all.

Be honest - are you a bike-snob? :biggrin:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I say hello or a nod to every cyclist no matter what they are riding

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
kerching-logo.jpg

stackofpennies.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Must be where you live, I always tend to give other cyclists a nod or wave. Generally those who are on 'utility' rides don't wave back, but those out for a ride do.

byegad

Legendary Member
You've seen my ratty 7 years old and mistreated QNT, yes?

I can't afford to be a snob.

HovR

Über Member
When just riding around the city I generally won't nod or wave at any cyclists, whether you're riding a Campag shod Bianchi or a beat up gas pipe steel mountain bike. If I acknowledged all of them I'd be like that nodding dog on the Churchill adverts.

When I get on to the country lanes though I'll give any cyclist I happen to pass a cheery hello, irrespective of what they're riding.

Ian193

Über Member
I nod or say morning to most people but didn't when we did the prudential freecycle the other week or we would never have got going took over an hour to do one 8 mile lap because it was so crowded estimated 60,000 riders but was fun anyway

Moodyman

Legendary Member
General pleasantries make a nicer environment, but I don't quite understand why some people expect a wave just because they share the same mode of transport or hobby.

Top Bottom