ASO pulls Tour de France from UCI world tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I wasn't being entirely serious. On the whole, the UCI is the worst governing body, apart from all the available alternatives...
Guessed not, like your comment. You could apply that to a lot of governing bodies. Except FIFA and IAAF who really are poor.
Maybe having four letter abbreviations is a bad thing!
But coming back to the point, ASO are a business and only interested in the top end of pro racing, where the money is. All the feeds to that level (smaller races, juniors, developing women's racing) are not their concern, and I don't think they would even want to run world cycling, because it would be too expensive, they have a very European/French view of the world. I suspect that top end women's racing would be in a poor state quite quickly, because they can't make a fast Euro from it.
As you say, the UCI is like democracy, it's not perfect, but beats all available alternatives.
And as a final point, looking at how things are run, Brian Cookson and his team are doing a very job in increasingly difficult circumstances, probably a lot better than an ASO place man would do.

Top Bottom