Assaulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black Country Ste

Some tosser in a white minivan yesterday took exception to me giving a wide berth to parked cars, close passing and cutting me up. I gave him a blast of my AirZound, when he stopped in the middle of the street and tried to door me, before catching me up as I tried a U-turn in the mouth of a side road.

He dragged me off the bike and gave me a few thumps across my back before driving off. It's all on camera and I've gone to the police; they're coming tomorrow to take a statement. I'm OK. I was a bit shocked and there's some cosmetic damage to the bike and the rack lost an arm. I think it's an open and shut case for assault and at least one driving offence, possibly three. I've got his reg number and face in perfect focus, a witness' phone number and the number plate of a bus full with passengers.

I'm not making the video public until the case is resolved but have shown it to a few people and it's definitely not one of helmet cam theatrics - it could have been anybody in my place. I'm putting faith in West Midlands Police to deal with this properly.

Gary E

Veteran
Good luck. Glad you and the bike escaped relatively unscathed.

Kies

I hope they throw the book at him, and more importantly you are ok. Bikes look better with war wounds ;-)

BSRU

A Human Being
With any luck, with independent witnesses and video footage the driver will enjoy some time at her majesty's pleasure.
Hopefully the copper assigned to investigate is not disinterested and will not use the Airzound use as justification for the dangerous driving and assault.

Hope the police sort him out. Good luck. All the best . Mike.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Are you sure you didn't lean on his van at the lights earlier?

GC

PS Glad you've got it on camera and have no serious damage to you or the bike.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Whether he gets a prison term for this assault on you or he gets let off with a caution(very likely),you have made an enemy for life,so I hope you don't meet him on the road again.Experience with aggressive drivers has taught me never to react vocally or physically,no matter how tempting,'cos you can't win an argument with a homicidal driver in a vehicle weighing a couple of tons or more.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Whether he gets a prison term for this assault on you or he gets let off with a caution(very likely),you have made an enemy for life,so I hope you don't meet him on the road again.Experience with aggressive drivers has taught me never to react vocally or physically,no matter how tempting,'cos you can't win an argument with a homicidal driver in a vehicle weighing a couple of tons or more.

No point arguing with a 10 ton truck coming at you deliberately...remaining calm and 'legal' are indeed important, never lower yourself to these 'peoples' level, but at the same time I stand my ground and explain things firmly and assertively in a conversation with a 'driver'. They have no right to behave that way, and need to know they are wrong and can't bully me, because that is exactly what they are doing. I also want them to know their actions and words are fully recorded on hedcam so they are expecting a visit from plod. I don't let them get away with it, but I keep myself safe at all times. I win they lose.

Such a shame the drivers in the uk have lowered themselves to this level, have they no respect for life?

Top Bottom