At what point do groupsets become 'decent'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
Objectively speaking of course! Just doing a bit of window shopping for a potential new bike and groupsets are something I don't know a huge amount about of.

Looking at the Cannondale CAAD8, you can buy it with 2300, Sora, Tiagra and 105 groupsets on and while I'm used to the 2300 set (my bike had that now) where is the point that you get that jump in quality? From what I've read it's the 105 set that is the step up towards the high end, is that right or would the Tiagra/Sora set be near enough?

TIA

Tony.

New Tiagra is basically old 105 thanks to the trickle down effect, and 105 is now basically old Ultegra and so on and so forth.

I've always split them into two camps.

2300 to Tiagra = budget

105 upwards = top end

Obviously new Tiagra muddies the water now, so IMO I'd say new Tiagra, (10 speed), or any 105 is the benchmark really.

There is nothing wrong with old Tiagra, even Sora has it's fans, and depending on application the likes of Sora may even make more sense than a higher end set up.

A winter commuter for example where replacement component cost may be a factor, may make more sense to use lower/cheaper to replace parts than ones that will cost you more.

Hope that all makes some sense.

Psyclist

Über Member
I'd say Tiagra is just about on the verge of 'decent,' not only is it 10 speed, but it has the thumb shifter set up. The overall quality is good too, and a friend of mine says his doesn't miss a beat after hundreds of miles.
Saying that the 2013 Sora groupo has the thumb shifter system too, but has less range of gears (9 speed cassette)
105 seems to be great value for money though and a little lighter and overall performance is great as it had tech from previous higher end groupos as the old Dura Ace and Ultegra (iirc) If you can splash the little extra, I'd go for that.

I have Tiagra and more than happy with it - cannot find anything better about 105
That's cos you've not got it Noods :tongue:

Seriously though, from all I've read I'd struggle to recommend spending more for 105 than 10 speed Tiagra, (if buying a groupset).

That said if you are buying a new bike as the OP is thinking of doing, and you can get it with 105 within budget then I'd say fill your boots on the basis of buying the best you can within your budget.

Note to the OP though, buy a bike for it's frame though and not it's groupset. A gruppo is far easier to update/upgrade and replace than a frame is.

FWIW the CAAD8 is a fantastic bike.

defy-one

I have Sora on the Triban 3 and 105 on my Giant. Both work really well. Buy the best you can,but as already stated, the frame is more important than groupset

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have Tiagra and more than happy with it - cannot find anything better about 105

Well, my 9spd Tiagra vs 105, the 105 offers an extra speed, has neater cable routing and looks better. Other than the extra spd, these are very important features :tongue:

OP
OP
outlash

outlash

also available in orange
Thanks all :smile:.

Note to the OP though, buy a bike for it's frame though and not it's groupset. A gruppo is far easier to update/upgrade and replace than a frame is.

Indeed, that's why the Cannondale is interesting because it's pretty much the same as you go up through the range apart from the groupset so it's a matter of budget really. I've read plenty about Cannondale's frames and I'd rather buy a half-decent alu frame over a cheaper carbon one so the CAAD8 is at the forefront of my thinking. Plus I've seen the 2012 model with 105 for less than £800..

Tony.

compo

Veteran
How is "decent" defined. My old Ridgeback did thousands of trouble free miles on cheapo Shimano Tourney SIS gears, unbranded front chainset and Shimano 6 speed freewheel. It never missed a beat and very rarely needed adjustment. It seemed decent to me in the most important feature, that of reliably changing gear. My more modern Trek has a Deore setup and it is no better than the cheapo Tourney apart from having a few more gears.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yay, I have 1 bike with a 'decent' groupset :dance:

Out of interest what is the weight difference between new Tiagra and 105? Anyone know?

Probably a few hundred grams, if that, not a lot. 105 is epic in weight vs top end groupsets though! Half a kilo or something.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
105 5700 vs Ultegra 6700 = 183g difference. I.e. not much.

Can not find the total weights for Tiagra (and I cba to add up the individual bits) to make the Tiagra vs 105 comparison.

Top Bottom