average time for 10 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

chrisitalia

thanks for all your replies everyone!! im getting between 36mins and 45 mins depending on the route etc but its great to be a member and read about other members times and tips! thanks again.

Crackle said:
Depends on the hills:-

20 mile course 4, 12-15 minute 8-10 % hills. Ave 13.7 13.2mph
24 mile course rolling short hills but continuous, ave 14.5mph
Flat 20 mile course ave 16.5 mph
Flat 40 mile course ave 16mph

Sorry :smile: Got that first figure wrong

And Chrisitalia how rude of me :biggrin:

jimboalee

If you go out and ride for 20 muniutes on the flat, then 10 minutes up a hill, turn and then ride another 30 minutes up a less seveve hill ......

You will have to parachute to your front driveway.

jimboalee

First day of LEJOG. Land's End to Wellington, Somerset. 144 miles, 10 hrs 10 minutes. This includes a 0.5 hour stop every 2.5 hours.
So I did the 144 in 8.6 hours 'moving time'. That's an average of 16.75 mph. The first hour or so was slower ( the first hour is the worst ) 'cus I was warming up. Then after Penzance, I started to put the pace up.
There are hills in Cornwall and Devon, but my riding average was a gnat's cock from my average on the Lincolnshire flats.

?????

Which makes me think. A novice might go out for 1 hour… He's still cold! He needs to properly warm up for 1 hour, and then judge his average over the 2nd hour.

Downward

Guru
Will1985 said:
Average - 24 mins (time trialling :biggrin:). I'll go faster on a good day. On a road bike, I'd say around 28/29 mins.

I'm confused - Nimming's road doesn't look like it joins the A456. We sometimes use the A456 on club rides for a 50km/h blast up and down between Hagley Wood Lane and the velodrome roundabout.

Hi yeah that's it - Halgley Wood Lane not Nimmings Road !

I have only been going up that Lane for 20 years and I still can't remember the Road Name !

Maizie

Veteran
10.3 mile each-way commute.
Done for the first time in June 2008 - having cycled 4 or 5 miles a couple of times a week in the preceding 3-4 weeks. Not a fit person, and not cycled prior to that in years.
Attempted to average twice a week since then, but holidays and illness and stupid late meetings mean that I've probably only averaged once a week.

First commute took me an hour there and an hour ten on the way home. Excluding breaks for a drink (well, really a rest).

Current best is just under 50 minutes, and I can now manage both ways without need to stop.

There are still other cyclists overtaking me. The difference now is that there are a couple that I overtake too!

My ultimate goal is to get it to 40min - whether I manage it next year or the year after, on the bike I have or on an 'upgrade', I don't mind. I'm happy pootling along at 12-12.5mph on average, and now I have a locker at work I am making grand plans for four days cycle commuting a week. Who knows when/if I'll manage it - but that doesn't matter, I'm not on a schedule

snorri

Legendary Member
chrisitalia said:
any other distance / times welcome also! thanks all!!

I look at performance in the longer term, 300 miles in a month would be OK in my book.:biggrin:
You could sign up to Cyclogs.co.uk (it's free!). On there you can create targets for speed and distance and compare your current performance with past performance or with other cyclists (who might well be doctoring their input figures:evil::smile:).
Otoh, you could throw away your watch and mileage recorder and just enjoy the pleasure of cycling along at a speed you find comfortable.

jimboalee

When I started cycling, my Mom and Dad wouldn't let me go far. After about four years riding round in circles, I would secretly venture out with the other boys who lived in the neighbourhood. We would ride about 5 miles to a river ford. The bike I had was a 20" boys bike from the fifties. I don't remember exactly, but it could have been 42 ring to 18 single freewheel. A 47" gear, 1 inch lower than my Moulton Mini.

On a 47" gear, at 80 cadence, is 11.5 mph. But I was pedalling a lot faster than that to keep up with the older boys on their 'racers'. At 100 cadence, I would be doing 14.5 mph – not bad for a 9 year old!

Now answer me this. If a 9 year old can ride at 14.5 – 15 mph for five miles, can a grown up twentysomething ride at 14.5 – 15 mph for ten miles?

Be VERY, VERY ashamed if you can't.
:biggrin:

snorri said:
Otoh, you could throw away your watch and mileage recorder and just enjoy the pleasure of cycling along at a speed you find comfortable.

Angelfishsolo said:

.. depends on what you are trying to do I guess. I started timing myself because I became aware that I was able to get to work in about the same elapsed time as when I started but it was less effort. Given that I was trying to get fitter I thought I should set myself some targets so as to make sure I kept pushing.

But, and there is a big BUT, you need to be a bit careful about where and when you are timing yourself; as Jimboalee said, if you're trying to set a PB though a City centre in rush hour you'll pretty soon come a cropper.

So I allow myself a bit of a warm up to the foot of the "big" (for me!) hill and then time my climb of that 'cos it's basically down to me how quick I can do it: it's up a country lane which is a no through road and it's rare for me to see a car, or anyone else at all come to that; there's also a couple of sections of bridleway which tend to be empty so I time those.

I do time the bits where I interact with traffic, but don't worry about it too much 'cos one red light can blow it for me. I also looked for an improvement over an average week-by-week rather than day-by-day 'cos headwinds and so on can affect it. Plus, some days I just like to dawdle along and admire the scenery.

Anyway, back to the original question .. 10 miles on a flattish run took me 40-45 minutes the other week.

ACS

Legendary Member
Angelfishsolo said:

I agree. Since returning to the sport in August I have only completed one timed ride and that was 35 miles in 2h 33 min (13.7 mph) on an undulating (I call them hills) circuit, the rest have been pure saddle time and exploration. My steed is no light weight and neither am I.

Bodhbh

Guru
Hills surely batter average time, at least to all but v hardcore cyclists?

Maybe more a concentration issue, but I know myself I am slower over varied terrain when I'm mashing gears and can't get into a steady pace. My normal 10mile loop is like this and takes about 40mins (15mph), if I'm on the flat average speed is something like 17-19mph.

Also with wind resistance being non-linear I would have thought a hilly road is less efficient to ride as you loose more energy to wind on the downhills than you save on the climbs?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
However the grown up will undoubtedly have sustained injuries, eaten bad food, indulged in less than healthy practices, etc, etc. Could you play all day in the same way as a 9 year old could? I would be amazed if the answer was yes.

Also not all people are created equal. Just because you could do something as a child it does mean that your abilities are equitable with others.

Oh and 10 miles reasonably flat with a 10 Spd 26" wheel MTB Approx 42 mins.

jimboalee said:
Now answer me this. If a 9 year old can ride at 14.5 – 15 mph for five miles, can a grown up twentysomething ride at 14.5 – 15 mph for ten miles?

Be VERY, VERY ashamed if you can't.
:biggrin:

jimboalee

For interest.

Through my thirties and forties, I cycle commuted 8 miles to work, physically pushed Jaguars and Range Rovers around an Exhaust Emissions test lab, went jogging 3 kilometers at lunch time with two other colleagues, pushed more cars round during the afternoon, cycled 8 miles home. Had dinner. Took my eldest son to the playing field to play soccer or cricket in the summer evenings, or to the public swimming baths twice a week in the winter; and in the mid nineties, got up at 2 O'Clock in the morning to bottle feed my younger son.

Either I've grossly overestimated the physical capabilities of twenty first century young adults, or I'm living on the wrong planet.

Top Bottom