average time for 10 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
marinyork said:
It is something I've created Crackle. I grade hills routes now to try and get as much hills in as possible so as to survive some of the longer routes I've been doing a bit better (40 miles + which I have always struggled with). 1.0 means 100ft per mile or 1000ft per 10 miles. Like Chris James, whatever route I take it is more or less this, which is why I call it a 1.0. A 0.2 would be 200ft per 10 miles and so on. When I lived in York it was about 0.05 or even 0.02. When I cycle home from town with traffic holding me up, red lights galore and a 500ft hill it can be a 1.2. Do you really live in the Wirral Crackle, thought you lived in Scotland?

Ahh I see. Makes sense. Yes I live on the Wirral, moved from Scotland this summer. So my hilly rides are my Scotland rides and the flat 20 miles is a Wirral ride. So far not done much since I got here. Various things have kept me away from the bike and probably will until after the New Year. Will probably go back to running soon (with the dog) and wknd mtn biking.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ah you lucky thing. I'm sure they'll be plenty of wirral cycling time in the spring. I know someone that moved to Willaston (sp)? or somewhere round there and was thinking of cycle visiting but never got round to it.

jimboalee

Ref Grading hills.

Audax UK has a recognised system of grading hills. It is in their Audax Altitude Award section.
I thought MarinYork was refering to AAA points, but the sums didn't compute.

snorri

Legendary Member
After reading this thread, my mind is going to be full of statistics and new abbreviations. No longer will cycling be an opportunity to commune with nature and call out friendly greetings to fellow travellers between home and paper-shop, whilst taking some gentle exercise. No cycle trip will be complete without altimeter, stopwatch and pocket calculator.:smile:
Maybe I will just take the car and save myself a lot of stress.;)

Neilwoo123

jimboalee said:
Hmmm… The Stratford road between Shirley, Solihull; and the ice cream shop in Henly in Arden is ten miles. Shirley is at 460 ft elev, and Henley is at 250 ft. The hill is called Liverage Hill and accounts for 150 ft in ¼ mile. The rest is an undulating A road.
To the ice cream takes 33 minutes, that's 18 mph. Back takes 50 mins, that's 12 mph. The round trip is at average 15 mph! How strange.

Yes, but how long would it take to get back if there was ice cream at both ends????????

;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
He'd fly if he was in a hurry. Or if he had a bit more time he'd pull along the car behind the bike with his teeth.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I am starting work on a dashboard for my handlebars to accommodate all of the information gathering equipment I didn't know I needed. ;)
snorri said:
After reading this thread, my mind is going to be full of statistics and new abbreviations. No longer will cycling be an opportunity to commune with nature and call out friendly greetings to fellow travellers between home and paper-shop, whilst taking some gentle exercise. No cycle trip will be complete without altimeter, stopwatch and pocket calculator.:smile:
Maybe I will just take the car and save myself a lot of stress.:smile:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I thought he'd push it with his breath ;)
marinyork said:
He'd fly if he was in a hurry. Or if he had a bit more time he'd pull along the car behind the bike with his teeth.

jimboalee

BTW.
I ride with Solihull CC. I go on the 'D' ride. About 50 miles at a 15 mph average.

The 'C' ride is longer and a tad faster. Only for me in the summer.

The 'B' run go 70ish miles and try to average 16 mph. No chance.

The 'A' run go at an average 18 mph and can cover 80ish miles. Only for the Cat 1 and 2s.

Moose

I asked a friend of mine what a good time for a 10 should be and he says the benchmark is 20 minutes :tongue:

Pissed on my fireworks it did, I currently average 35 minutes for 10.75 miles

:angry:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
jimboalee said:
Now answer me this. If a 9 year old can ride at 14.5 – 15 mph for five miles, can a grown up twentysomething ride at 14.5 – 15 mph for ten miles?

Be VERY, VERY ashamed if you can't.
:tongue:

Like you I am an arrogant git. I look down on people who only earn £100k - after all if I can manage something more, why can't they? I also encourage feelings of shame in people who got a mediocre 2:1 degree. Only an utter thicko would have failed to get a first. And as for people who can't speak five languages like a native and play the bassoon to professional standard - what have you been doing with your life?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
30 mph for 10 miles. Sure he wasn't talking about a 10K or maybe thinking you were on a moped?
Moose said:
I asked a friend of mine what a good time for a 10 should be and he says the benchmark is 20 minutes :tongue:

Pissed on my fireworks it did, I currently average 35 minutes for 10.75 miles

:angry:

Top Bottom