BA pricing. How does this work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I have heard (or read), but cannot recall where, that if you "no-show" for the first leg of your journey then they will cancel your ticket and won't allow you to travel on any subsequent legs. This may of course be out of date information, or possibly just plain (plane? :blush:) wrong. Best not taking the chance without making sure though.....

100% true. Do not do it, it doesn't work.

If you book a multi leg on a single ticket (eg Washington - New York - London) but fail to show for the Washington - New York leg you definitely cannot check in for the New York - London leg

U

User33236

I have heard (or read), but cannot recall where, that if you "no-show" for the first leg of your journey then they will cancel your ticket and won't allow you to travel on any subsequent legs. This may of course be out of date information, or possibly just plain (plane? :blush:) wrong. Best not taking the chance without making sure though.....
I have a holiday coming up where Mrs SG will not be taking the outbound flight but will be taking the return one. The holiday company are happy with that as they were informed at the time of booking but I have still been told to take a copy of the details for her alternate outbound flight (one week earlier) and reconfirm at my checkin on the way out.

swansonj

Guru
We would be no-showing for the second leg, the spurious internal US leg (outbound) booked because it would reduce the cost by £300 or so each. I would want to be sure that the airline didn't get their revenge when we turned up for the (direct) return flight...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We would be no-showing for the second leg, the spurious internal US leg (outbound) booked because it would reduce the cost by £300 or so each. I would want to be sure that the airline didn't get their revenge when we turned up for the (direct) return flight...

You can get away with this as a one-off. I know people who have done this. However they closely monitor stuff like this and you will be on their radar in the future. They may well ask why you didn't take the second leg when you come to check in for the return flight and you'll have to make up some excuse. I doubt very much they would deny you boarding of the return leg but I've never done this so can't say for sure

How do you propose handling luggage given that it will presumably be checked through to your final destination? I think you can request that your luggage is available after your first flight to be re-checked in for your second flight (that you won't take) but I've never done this

swansonj

Guru
You can get away with this as a one-off. I know people who have done this. However they closely monitor stuff like this and you will be on their radar in the future. They may well ask why you didn't take the second leg when you come to check in for the return flight and you'll have to make up some excuse. I doubt very much they would deny you boarding of the return leg but I've never done this so can't say for sure

How do you propose handling luggage given that it will presumably be checked through to your final destination? I think you can request that your luggage is available after your first flight to be re-checked in for your second flight (that you won't take) but I've never done this
You always reclaim your luggage at the first airport you arrive at now, clear immigration then customs, then recheck baggage for the connecting flight.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You always reclaim your luggage at the first airport you arrive at now, clear immigration then customs, then recheck baggage for the connecting flight.

Don't know if that's the case in USA but it definitely isn't the case elsewhere in the world. Eg a couple of weeks ago I flew Beijing - Amsterdam - Manchester and luggage was checked through to Manchester. As it has been every other time

vickster

Legendary Member
In my experience, if changing planes in the USA, you have to collect your bags and then recheck luggage in...a right faff! But I seem to recall getting a boarding pass at London for the second leg of the flight

However, recently flew LHR to Hanoi via Hong Kong and bags were checked all the way through, so must be a USA customs thing

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It is a US thing, as well as the worst immigration system I have to use which often takes hours to get through, you also need to claim and recheck your bags. One tip for frequent flyers to major US cities, if you go via Dublin you can use pre-clearance that effectively means you can be treated as a domestic passenger when you arrive in the US making it much easier to get through the system, especially if you have a connecting flight .

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/US-Preclearance.aspx

Top Bottom