Back in the saddle after 25 years of beer & curries :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Weegie

Hi everyone,

I have a big smile on my face today :smile:. Thanks mostly to the brilliant advice on this forum, I'm finally back onto a bike after a 25 year gap!

I'm 43, 6' tall, a hefty 20 stone, and completely unfit. A steadily increasing feeling of dread over my poor fitness level, combined with the demands of my increasingly active 3 year old daughter, finally pushed me to the point where I NEED to improve my fitness levels. Problem is, I find gyms & walking to be utterly, utterly boring.

So, with vague memories of having enjoyed cycling back in my teenage years, I went out and bought a Carrera Subway 2 from Halfords, and had my first tentative 3 mile try-out this morning. I was initially VERY self-conscious (do I look like "stupid fat bloke on a bike", are the wheels going to collapse on me etc etc). But after several wobbly moments, I was scooting along quite competently. Not 10 minutes later, I was zooming along, shouting "wheeeeee" with a big smile on my face! I honestly forgot how much fun cycling is, and I'm feeling pretty optimistic right now that I'll be able to sustain it to the point where it does me some good!

And what if I DO look like a fat bloke on a bike? Better that than a fat bloke on a sofa.

Sorry for rambling, but I just feel so bloody pleased with myself right now :smile:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
good innit? i was in a similar position this time last year (not due to beer n curry tho). lost 3 stone and going strength to strength. but, the bug will bite. my advice, go out in all weathers, don't give in to the mood swings. have the will power to go out when you're not in the mood. increase the distance cycled slowly as pushing too hard will lead to feeling run down. don't forget to drink plenty of fluids and eat normally but not junk.

cheers and good luck

:bravo:Well done!! :smile:

Keep going and you won't look back. A year or so from now you will be actively looking for hills to climb on your bike. You will soon realise how lucky we are to be surrounded by some wonderful countryside that is just soooo good to cycle past.

Oh and keep an eye out for the Central Scotland rides that are organised on here. No-one, and that means, NO-ONE is left behind. :smile:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I was in the same position as you (though at 27, I'd achieved a similar 'peak' sooner!). I'm now 16.5 stone, down from near 20 though this has included a calorie controlled diet as well as cycling. Don't worry about being self concious, you'll soon get over it as you start to drop weight. Even so, I'm still not a fan of lycra!

Nice one I in the similar sort of boat as you 40 this year and not done much over the last ten years so starting to look a bit round :smile:
Started jogging about 3 months ago and now just bought the subway to throw a bit of cycling into the mix.
As you say to start you feel a bit of a plum but it soon passes. I cycled home from work on Friday with my trousers tucked in my socks looked right lemon but who cares and better than getting caught in the chain hehe.
The first step is the hardest then it just gets easier well done for getting out there

Is this the bike you bought ?
index.php

oscarplu

Über Member
Welcome Weegie and well done for getting back on the bike, keep at it and enjoy it, you wont regret it:bravo: From an ex fat bloke on a bike!!!!!:smile:

lazyfatgit

Welcome.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Great post, Weegie (no prizes for guessing where you live :smile:) and :smile: to CC.

Up for the Pedal for Scotland yet ? If not, you've got l-o-ts of time to prepare for it - and the CC Team doesn't leave ANYONE behind :tongue:

cade

Weegie said:
Hi everyone,

I have a big smile on my face today ;). Thanks mostly to the brilliant advice on this forum, I'm finally back onto a bike after a 25 year gap!

I'm 43, 6' tall, a hefty 20 stone, and completely unfit. A steadily increasing feeling of dread over my poor fitness level, combined with the demands of my increasingly active 3 year old daughter, finally pushed me to the point where I NEED to improve my fitness levels. Problem is, I find gyms & walking to be utterly, utterly boring.

So, with vague memories of having enjoyed cycling back in my teenage years, I went out and bought a Carrera Subway 2 from Halfords, and had my first tentative 3 mile try-out this morning. I was initially VERY self-conscious (do I look like "stupid fat bloke on a bike", are the wheels going to collapse on me etc etc). But after several wobbly moments, I was scooting along quite competently. Not 10 minutes later, I was zooming along, shouting "wheeeeee" with a big smile on my face! I honestly forgot how much fun cycling is, and I'm feeling pretty optimistic right now that I'll be able to sustain it to the point where it does me some good!

And what if I DO look like a fat bloke on a bike? Better that than a fat bloke on a sofa.

Sorry for rambling, but I just feel so bloody pleased with myself right now :biggrin:

Welcome to the forum weegie

OP
OP
Weegie

Weegie

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! One week on, and I've now been out for quite a few short runs, all less than 5 miles, taking things easy until the strength in my legs builds up a little. I'm already "feeling fitter" - although there's obviously little difference yet in my physical condition, my state of mind is much fitter ;)

Scoosh: Pedal For Scotland looks like really good fun, but I'm 99% sure it would kill me this year :biggrin:. Looks like a fun day, and a beautiful route as well, so if I can keep motivation levels up, I'll be there next year!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hallo and welcome!

As your a Weegie, the best advice I can offer you is move east :biggrin: :smile:

You should try Pedal For Scotland, you'd be surprised just how quickly you can build up distance and there is still time to get some training in, go on you can do it!! :biggrin:

Top Bottom